Best thunderbolt external hardrive for gaming

Reaction score
I just got a macbook pro and have been doing a fair amount of gaming on it. seeing as games take an average of 10-20 GB I'm wanting to get a 1TB external to store games and movies on. I normally play at home and and want to keep internal memory free for school. I'm shooting for 150-200 ish price wise. portability is not important as I am just going to leave it plugged in at my desk. Any good brands models ect. to look at? I have never messed with an external hardrive. any problems running it on the window partition of my mac? thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

There a many different MBP's so hard to advise if you need a Thunderbold, USB3, FW800, FW400 or USB2 connection to the hard drive. Do not purchase a Seagate, rather go with a drive from Western Digital, knows as WD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 iMac 27, 4Ghz i7, 1TB SSD, 32GB, M395X, Pegasus R4, 2015 MPB, 2x 2013 MacBook Air 13s
...Any good brands models ect. to look at? I have never messed with an external hardrive. any problems running it on the window partition of my mac? thanks!

One of the best and fastest USB 3.0 bus-powered external drives is the 1TB HGST Touro S: http://www.touropro.com/en/product/touro-s/

It is not Thunderbolt but for a single drive you really don't need that. It is one of the few 7200 rpm bus-powered external drives.

G-Tech has a similar 7200 rpm bus-powered drive with a Thunderbolt interface, but it's twice as expensive: http://www.g-technology.com/products/g-drive-mobile-thunderbolt-1-tb-portable-hard-drive

OP
J
Reaction score
Awesome thanks! That looks like it would do the trick. Do you have to worry about heat problems with a portable one like that? I noticed some had cooling fans (sorry if a newbie question, lol) I am thinking thunderbolt to keep both my USB ports free as well as be faster transfer speed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.