Deleted files not disappearing

Reaction score
Hi

I've had a Mac mini for about a year now and generally all is good, however, I am having a problem with deleted files.

I have a 16gb Memory stick that i use in the car for my music, when I plug it into the mac I can move the no longer required tracks to the trash but when I then plug it into the head unit in the car they are still there ?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
This might help .... Move the files to the trash, empty the trash before you remove the USB memory stick.... ( Remove by properly ejecting the USB memory stick. )

Cheers ... McBie

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Two things occur to me as potential issues here. Let's start with the easiest first:
1. When you move files to the trash on your Mac I assume you are emptying the trash. Under most circumstances files are not removed until the trash is emptied. If that solves the problem stop here.
2. Withe memory stick plugged into the Mac select the drive and select Get Info (Command I). In the "General" section of the window that appears look at the format section. If it says NTFS I think you'll need third party software to write to that drive and delete those files. The software isn't free but there is a demo available.

There are other options and a Terminal command that can enable this but most of them are somewhat problematic.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.