SSLv3 Issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 10.6.8--2.4 GHz Intel Core i5--4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
I recently started receiving this message when attempting to access my online classes at American Military University (AMU)...

"The client and server don't support a common SSL protocol version or cipher suite. This is usually caused when the server needs SSLv3 support, which has been removed."

I don't even know how to check if this is a result of POODLE. A quick trip to www.poodletest.com indicates that 'your browser doesn't support SSLv3, or only supports SSLv3 using stream ciphers,' whatever that means...Am I good? Am I not good?

Has anyone ever experienced this and is there a fix? Is this an OS X issue? I have tried multiple browsers and all fail. Could this be a wireless problem? I am completely lost and dead in the water for classes and it seems to only affect my MacBook, not my wife's PC or my work computer (I can log in to AMU with no problems on these).

Other details for consideration:
1. MacBook Pro OS X ver 10.6.8
2. Firefox, Google Chrome & Safari all encounter similar issues (the error quote above is from Chrome)
3. AMU uses the following: 2.9.X - Sakai 2.9.X (Kernel 1.3-SNAPSHOT)- Server stsakai17-100 [this version of Sakai hasn't changed in quite some time]

I appreciate any help...thanks in advance!

- ghostorchids

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Snow Leopard is now five operating systems old and your problem may be assocaited with that. Be aware Apple has not supported SL now for wuite sometime with security and other updates. Can't offer any suggestions as you have not supplied computer details. If you have an Apple Store nearby go and try the site.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Snow Leopard is now five operating systems old and your problem may be assocaited with that. Be aware Apple has not supported SL now for wuite sometime with security and other updates. Can't offer any suggestions as you have not supplied computer details. If you have an Apple Store nearby go and try the site.

Thanks for the reply... I am not sure what computer details to give you, so here goes...

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B0C
SMC Version (system): 1.58f17
Serial Number (system): W8032FYLAGU
Hardware UUID: 1850E65F-B443-5EFF-8EE6-8B405546EA2E
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

System Software Overview:
System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal

Let me know if there is any other info that would be helpful. My problems are recent...as in just last week. Thanks again!

C

chas_m

As suggested, if there's an Apple Store near you try the site on those machines. If it works, you have your answer in your own post: SSLv3 has been deprecated (because its not secure enough) and the answer is to upgrade. That's a mid-2010 model, and there's a LOT you can do to keep it current. Upgrading is free, but be aware that because you are making such a HUGE jump (six operating system major upgrades, Rip Van Winkle! Where ya been??) there will likely be a LOT of updating/upgrading/buying new versions because I would expect nearly EVERYTHING you haven't keep bang-up-to-date to break. For the most part this will be pretty easy and mostly free, but I would certainly recommend creating a bootable clone of your system AS IT IS and booting back into it for a while until you get everything on your upgraded HD back "up to spec."

Since you've saved a ton of money by not ever upgrading that thing or replacing it, maybe consider adding more RAM (your machine can take up to 8GB -- not required, but will make a difference) and perhaps buying an SSD drive to replace the present boot drive (10x faster than the drive you have in there). It will definitely feel like a new machine and should be able to handle nearly anything the latest and greatest MacBook Pros can handle.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As suggested, if there's an Apple Store near you try the site on those machines. If it works, you have your answer in your own post: SSLv3 has been deprecated (because its not secure enough) and the answer is to upgrade. That's a mid-2010 model, and there's a LOT you can do to keep it current. Upgrading is free, but be aware that because you are making such a HUGE jump (six operating system major upgrades, Rip Van Winkle! Where ya been??) there will likely be a LOT of updating/upgrading/buying new versions because I would expect nearly EVERYTHING you haven't keep bang-up-to-date to break. For the most part this will be pretty easy and mostly free, but I would certainly recommend creating a bootable clone of your system AS IT IS and booting back into it for a while until you get everything on your upgraded HD back "up to spec."

Since you've saved a ton of money by not ever upgrading that thing or replacing it, maybe consider adding more RAM (your machine can take up to 8GB -- not required, but will make a difference) and perhaps buying an SSD drive to replace the present boot drive (10x faster than the drive you have in there). It will definitely feel like a new machine and should be able to handle nearly anything the latest and greatest MacBook Pros can handle.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Rip Van Winkle finally updated to El Capitan. Sure, it a little lengthy on the download and install, but I'm updated. As you pointed out, I thought that I would spending loads of dosh on additional update but to my surprise that wasn't the case. I never really considered adding any more RAM to it, but now that you mentioned it that is a viable option. I understand the performance enhancements but up to this point I haven't really needed it. Same for the SSD drive. Coincidentally, since my update to The Captain, I have not experienced any problems with the SSLv3 malarkey. But I haven't had a chance to be online that much---until today! So today will be a true test to see if the OX update was the fix.

Thanks again for your advice and suggestions, I really appreciate it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.