Airdrop doesn't work!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac Mini (Base Model, High Sierra); iPad 2018 (Latest iOS); iPhone 7 (Latest iOS)
So, updated all my iOS devices to 9.02 and my Mac to El Capitan. I noticed before the update to El Capitan that Airdrop stopped working (in this case, the Mac doesn't "see" my iOS devices). Handoff still works fine; I can look at something on my iPad, and have the Handoff icon show up on the Dock on my Mac. But Airdrop seems a no go.

Is there some issue that everyone knows of, some setting to change? Or am I just SOL? I used Airdrop before and much prefer that to connecting my iPad to the Mac for transferring minor files and the like.

C

chas_m

AirDrop works perfectly here -- in fact, since I haven't used it in a while, I was quite shocked and pleased about how much faster the discovery happened compared to iOS 8/Yosemite. Of course, a key factor that has tripped me up in the past is that both devices must be on the same network -- I have more than one here at the house, and so if AirDrop isn't working it's always because one of the devices is on the "wrong" (non-5GHz) network. Maybe have a look at that.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac Mini (Base Model, High Sierra); iPad 2018 (Latest iOS); iPhone 7 (Latest iOS)
AirDrop works perfectly here -- in fact, since I haven't used it in a while, I was quite shocked and pleased about how much faster the discovery happened compared to iOS 8/Yosemite. Of course, a key factor that has tripped me up in the past is that both devices must be on the same network -- I have more than one here at the house, and so if AirDrop isn't working it's always because one of the devices is on the "wrong" (non-5GHz) network. Maybe have a look at that.

Well, I've only got one network here, so that can't be it. I'll poke around a bit, but I can't imagine that's the issue. Thanks though; it's another thing I didn't know!

C

chas_m

Actually, it could still be the issue. If a device has a problem joining your network, it will lock on to any open networks around instead! Found out about that issue the hard way! Worth double-checking that.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, it could still be the issue. If a device has a problem joining your network, it will lock on to any open networks around instead! Found out about that issue the hard way! Worth double-checking that.

Checked, and nothing. So, I have no idea what's going on. Airdrop worked fine before I upgraded to iOS 9, which doesn't make any sense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
C

chas_m

When I did my test, I was on iOS 9 (and OS X 10.11 on the Mac). Not sure what to tell you, maybe describe how you're going about setting this up (I know you've done it successfully before; I'm grasping at straws here) :)

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yep mine doesn't work either. One network, both devices on it, cant see each other at all. I have had a look at the articles thanks to PM-R and if this is true,"The failure with airdrop between iOS and OSX is intentional. Apple is trying to address / resolve the security risk / vulnerability which comes with that communication technology. They choose to disable airdrop between the two OS' rather than keep it open for potential hack. All you can do now is wait for the fix". Well nice of Apple to let us know. I've spent an hour trying to get it working just to transfer a screen shot from my iPhone to post on these forums.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It was working before El Capitan, a bit inconsistant, took a couple of tries but now nothing is working.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I looked at the Apple support stuff and apparently it's a known problem, so...I guess I'll just wait? Gah! Super annoying.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does give me a chance to explore the alternatives though. I got stuck on AirDrop just 'cause it used to work and now didn't. Of course once i thought about it i realised the screen shot in question was in my Camera Roll so would by then also be in Photos on my laptop thanks to Photo Stream, which it was.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Airdrop has always been flaky for me so it's good to know that any inconsistency I see is not just limited to my machines. One thing I've found that works is making both available to "anyone" instead of just people who are my contacts. In the meantime, you could try that temporarily or use something like Pushbullet.

C

chas_m

Just tested it again: iPad on 9.1 beta, OS X on 10.11.1 beta (I'm in that volume at the moment), worked fast and perfectly to send a photo from iPad to Mac. Worked the other way round as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.