Regretting El Capitan - can I rollback?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" - 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
Hi - I read a glowing review of El Capitan and upgraded.

Now my sound device and Xbox controller won't work (I've uninstalled and re-installed) and I wonder if I can roll the OS back to 10.9.5?

To make matters worse, I can't find the disk that came with the Mac - actually I can't remember if it came with a disk or arrived preloaded.

I have backed up all my docs and files.

Is it safe to restart, holding Apple + R ?

Any help! Thank you.

M

MacInWin

You can roll back. If you boot from the Internet recovery, you can reinstall the original OS that was installed on the drive, then update to whatever version you want, as long as it is in the Purchased tab of your Mac Apple Store. So, check there to see what Install xxx versions are there, then read https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314 and follow the instructions. CMD+R will only boot the Recovery partition that Yosemite installed which won't get you what you want. You'll need to boot to the Internet Recovery mode.

EDIT: One caution: if any of your apps were updated to the Yosemite version as part of your upgrade and you roll back, if the backed up files are the Yosemite version, they may or may not work and may need to be reinstalled for the 10.9 version.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great! Thank you - I'll give it a go. Much appreciated :)

edit: Ah, I've just looked in my Purchased tab at Apple Store and my old version isn't there.
I bought the machine from an authorised reseller - this is why I can't remember if it came with a disk. I'll find the purchase confirmation email and see if it sheds any light.

thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Without knowing the model and year it is hard to guess what version internet recovery will install. If you use the Recovery System stored on your startup drive to reinstall OS X, it installs the most recent version of OS X previously installed on this computer. If you use Internet Recovery to reinstall OS X, it installs the version of OS X that originally came with your computer.

Mac computers introduced before 2009 came with OS X Install or Restore discs. After that no disks, just a recover partition or over the internet.

To get to the recovery system - restart and hold down the command + r keys.

Lisa

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lisa and Jake - thank you so much. I'm reassured now, that I can do this, so really appreciate both your help.
It's a mid 2011 model and should revert to 10.9.5 I think.
I never bothered with Yosemite, on the reseller's advice!
Thanks very much indeed!

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I spoke too soon!
I went the Internet Recovery route and the only option is El Capitan.

What am I missing?

For extra info, I haven't actually ever used Time Machine.... oops.

Yep, the only image on Startup Disk is 10.11

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It's a mid 2011 model and should revert to 10.9.5 I think.

You didn't mention the exact model of the computer. But if it's a mid-2011…this is most likely an iMac or a MacBook Air (versus a MacBook Pro, etc.).

If it's a Mid-2011 iMac…it originally shipped with OS 10.6.6 "Snow Leopard. If it's a Mid-2011 MacBook Air…it originally shipped with 10.7 "Lion".

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
HI Nick - yes, it's a 27" iMac mid-2011, i5, 2.7GHz

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I spoke too soon!
I went the Internet Recovery route and the only option is El Capitan.

What am I missing?

There are three ways to reinstall the OS on Macintosh computers since Apple stopped shipping them with disks:

1. The Recovery Partition on the HD.
2. Internet Recovery.
3. From a bootable USB stick (that the user makes on their own).

- The Recovery Partition method reinstalls the most current version of the OS that was installed on the computer (which in this case would be El Capitan).
- The Internet Recovery Method reinstalls the OS that originally shipped with the computer.

If El Capitan with the only option you've seen so far…that's the "Recovery Partition" method (not the Internet Recovery Method).:)

Please see this document for more info:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's a thought: could I buy a new version of Snow Leopard off Ebay, then upgrade to 10.9.5?

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are three ways to reinstall the OS on Macintosh computers since Apple stopped shipping them with disks:

1. The Recovery Partition on the HD.
2. Internet Recovery.
3. From a bootable USB stick (that the user makes on their own).

- The Recovery Partition method reinstalls the most current version of the OS that was installed on the computer (which in this case would be El Capitan).
- The Internet Recovery Method reinstalls the OS that originally shipped with the computer.

If El Capitan with the only option you've seen so far…that's the "Recovery Partition" method (not the Internet Recovery Method).:)

Please see this document for more info:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

- Nick

Thanks again Nick, but I'm pretty sure the Internet Recovery option went to El Capitan but I'll give it another bash.
Sorry if this is naive noob stuff!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
HI Nick - yes, it's a 27" iMac mid-2011, i5, 2.7GHz

Thanks for the model info. As mentioned…this computer originally shipped with OS 10.6.6. And as mentioned…Internet Recovery will reinstall the OS that originally shipped with the computer. With Internet Recovery…I think that ONLY OS 10.7 and higher can be reinstalled. Since this computer came with 10.6.6…it's hard to know what it will reinstall.

This is what I can tell you. I had the exact same computer (Mid-2011 27" iMac)…and I had hard drive problems with it (needed to install a new HD). When I did Internet Recovery on it…OS 10.7 was Reinstalled.

If the Apple document that I linked is read…I believe that the computer will use the OS reinstall feature from the Recovery Partition FIRST. It will only attempt Internet Recovery if there is no useable Recovery Partition OS install option. If this is the case…El Capitan may be the only option at this point.

I don't think you can "force" the computer to do Internet Recovery IF the Recovery Partition on the HD is present and operational.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks again Nick, but I'm pretty sure the Internet Recovery option went to El Capitan but I'll give it another bash.
Sorry if this is naive noob stuff!

I'm pretty sure if El Capitan was the reinstall option…this reinstall was coming from the HD's Recovery Partition…not Internet Recovery. If the Apple document is read…it states that:

- Recovery Partition reinstalls the most recent OS that was on the HD.
- Internet Recovery reinstalls the OS that originally shipped with the computer.

We both know that this computer did not originally ship with El Capitan (El Capitan was released just 2 days ago). So the reinstall option of El Capitan had to have come from the HD's Recovery Partition (not Internet Recovery).

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW. If the hard drive has an operational Recovery Partition…I don't think that Internet Recovery can be "forced" instead. If a brand new HD (or completely erased HD) were used…then Internet Recovery would kick-in (since these HD's would not have a Recovery Partition on them).

I guess it could be possible that a Terminal command exists that could be used to force Internet Recovery. But I'm not 100% sure on this. FYI…Terminal is a Apple app that is auto-installed with the OS (in case you didn't know).

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick - I REALLY appreciate all the time you're giving me - but (!) I've attached the screen shot and the only option that seems akin to Internet Recovery is: 'Get Help Online'

I've been up to File menu but am mystified by what I see... sorry :)

20151002_205824.jpg

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How would I find out if there's an optional recovery partition, btw?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The photo you posted is the Recovery Partition. When Internet Recovery is encountered…you see a globe of the Earth…that looks something like this:

311095-lion-internet-recovery.jpg

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How would I find out if there's an optional recovery partition, btw?

There is no "optional" Recovery Partition. There's just one Recovery Partition on an HD…and that's the one you're seeing with the photo you posted.:)

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The photo you posted is the Recovery Partition. When Internet Recovery is encountered…you see a globe of the Earth…that looks something like this:

311095-lion-internet-recovery.jpg

- Nick

Oh, but I've not seen that screen... how do I get to that?

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i'm holding in Apple + R and I get the screenshot I posted

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.