El Captian - Mail - Thousands in inbox

Reaction score
I downloaded El Captian this am. I am now seeing over 1400 messages marked as "inbox" in my Mail. Any idea why this is? How do I rectify this for the future.

Much appreciated,
Jeff

M

MacInWin

1. It's El Capitan, not El Captian. Probably a typo, but my pedantic gene kicked in...
2. It's part of the conversion of the database to the new format. Just right click on the mailbox on the left and select "Mark all Messages as Read" and the count will drop to zero.

Reaction score
Hi,
I also just downloaded and installed El Capitan, all my mail accounts, mailboxes and mail have gone, any ideas as to how to get them back - the computer, a MacBook Pro had just backed up to time machine so I can no doubt get them from there. I've tried re-starting but this doesn't help.

Chris

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
2. It's part of the conversion of the database to the new format. Just right click on the mailbox on the left and select "Mark all Messages as Read" and the count will drop to zero.

That one caught me by surprise also. It dumped my entire cache of email messages that I store on the gmail server to my inbox. Luckily, I don't usually store more than a few hundred at a time but it's another one of those "favors" Apple has given us. Sometimes I wish they would quit doing us favors.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.