A better picture viewer

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Just yesterday I had a client ask me what could he use as a simple photo viewer.
Something that would:
Leave the photos in a file or folder but enable full screen viewing.
Be able to display a slide show of selected images.
Have simple editing features like Rotate.
Be able to batch select images to e.g.move to a folder.

On his behalf I did some searching and came up with ArcSoft Photos +. This had everything he wanted, had simple base functions with sophisticated options, was Retina compatible, enabled posting to social media and more. Not only that but it was only $9.99

So he downloaded the free trial version from MacUpdate valid and fully functional for 14 days. Tried it out and needless to say he was delighted and wanted to purchase it straight away. This is where we encountered our problem. For some reason ArcSoft has discontinued support for this app. It is impossible to purchase this app as it utilises the confirmation email method of purchase confirmation and registration.

My question is why? I have read shining reviews claiming that this should be a native OS app and how much better it is than iPhoto.
It used to be available as late as December 2013 then suddenly was withdrawn. Makes you wonder or at least it makes me wonder why would a software designer would willingly withdraw a product that may have been deemed better that Photos, giving users much more control and flexibility? Couple this with the removal of Aperture and well.....? I did find a photo viewer with similar functions but it is nowhere as good really and it was the only one that vaguely fits the bill.
Farbeit for me to suggest conspiracy theories but it wouldn't be the first time a good idea got bought and shoved in a filing cabinet somewhere just to remove it from the market.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I had not found that one, so thank you cradom, however I did find ViewIt which is not bad for my client's requirements and shareware. But I might keep Phoenix Slides for myself.

Reaction score
Preview will do all you mentioned, plus much more, but you need to open more than one image. Select the images or a whole album and drag to the dock and drop on Preview. You can then Select any group or all the images in the Preview sidebar and delete, rotate, flip, move, adjust size, adjust color or use the slideshow to view.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.