• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple Pulls Old Purchased Items From Mac App Store

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We just picked this up from the Mac Rumors folks:

Apple recently removed older versions of OS X and other discontinued software from the Purchased tab of users who had previously purchased or downloaded them. With the change, it is no longer possible for users to download Aperture, iPhoto, OS X Lion, OS X Mountain Lion, and OS X Mavericks from the Mac App Store.

The decision to disallow users from downloading the older software is not going over well on reddit, where commenters are calling Apple's decision "user-hostile."

Here's a LINK to the entire thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Wow, I just checked and I no longer have Mavericks in my purchases. Glad I made a bootable USB drive for Mavericks. What about those still using the older versions? I have an iMac at work running Mavericks because an app they use will not run on Yosemite. Does that include if a reinstall is done over the internet or will the latest version be forced?

Lisa

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Don't really want to dive back into Linux, but these kinds of moves are slowly pushing me in that direction.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Let's just hope this is just a temporary thing, but my gut tells me otherwise. :(

First we had the AA companies like, Arrogant Abobe, now it's looking like Arrogant Apple is following their lead. :(

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Looks like the folks at "reddit" are now reporting that Apple has placed the items back in the purchased items of individuals.

Edit: I just checked and all my purchased items are there again.

C

chas_m

This was fairly widely reported along with the confirmation that it was temporary. Sorry you guys found a source that didn't tell the whole story. Glad you got the update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I just looked - its all good now! :*

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
This was fairly widely reported along with the confirmation that it was temporary. Sorry you guys found a source that didn't tell the whole story. Glad you got the update.

I guess I'm not enough of an Apple FanBoy to have access to such reports nor was I able to find any actual confirmed reports that it was just a "temporary" thing!!

And the unconfirmed reports continued into the late evening last night with typical reports such as:

"The disappearance of the ability to re-download older software irked users, with some calling the action "user hostile." It's unclear if Apple pulled the software intentionally or whether the Mac App Store experienced a temporary bug in advance of the availability of OS X El Capitan. However, the software was unavailable for several days before returning tonight. …"
Monday September 28, 2015 9:30 pm PDT by Husain Sumra

"… It is not clear if Apple's decision to prevent users from downloading older software from the Mac App Store is a temporary bug or a permanent change. The software has, however, been unavailable for several days now. …"
Monday September 28, 2015 12:15 pm PDT by Juli Clover

Anyway, they now appear to be back and hopefully they'll stay that way!!!

And BTW Chas, where would we find a source for the correct "whole story"???

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I would say if everything is back to normal…good deal.:)

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Be careful with this one folks. You I installed the 10.11.1 update last night after older software purchases were pulled fIsm the App Store. Right now none of my purchased software is listed. Downloads/updates made in the last 30 days are in the updates section but nothing is listed in the purchased section.

C

chas_m

First of all, as everyone here should well know, OS X 10.11.1 is a BETA. Guess what that means.

Second, the BETA cuts off your access to iCloud services if you're also on Yosemite.

Finally, there's always good old "give a it bit" advice. Checked my Mac App Store updates and purchased and everything is looking good on 10.11.1. I imagine yours will reappear at some point, but try signing out -- then back in -- to your Apple ID account as a possible troubleshooting step.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have no idea what is going on with Apple but looks like Sly is right - I have nothing showing in my purchases. Makes me glad I am a paranoid person brought on by my years with Windows computers. I keep copies of everything I download.

Lisa

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good idea. I hadn't tried that yet since I only discovered the problem late last night. This is the first incarnation of the beta that has produced this problem for me. Otherwise I've only had minor hiccups.

C

chas_m

I have no idea what is going on with Apple but looks like Sly is right - I have nothing showing in my purchases. Makes me glad I am a paranoid person brought on by my years with Windows computers. I keep copies of everything I download.

Lisa

No need for the tinfoil hat -- your Apple ID guarantees your purchase history. If the history doesn't show up in a day or two, contact Apple. Trust me, they still have that data and can restore it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Logging out my account has not fixed the problem. When I went back in no purchases are listed. Throughout this time apps that needed updating are listed. I will wait a bit longer and see what happens. It's been less than 24 hours since I discovered the problem.

Edit: My App Store purchases seem to be back (Lion and Mountain Lion included). If you have experienced this problem and have more than one Apple ID make sure you are logged into the correct one when you visit the App Store.

In my case I think that in the process of setting up the recent OS Beta update the Apple ID I use for things like FaceTime and Messages got entered into the App Store as well. Only noticed that by accident.

Last edited:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Interesting. I missed it all. I do have 10.11.1 installed! Maybe I better go check real fast! I sure hope it was a BUG and not deliberate but I do have flash drives of Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks and Yosemite! :D

And Chas, I never wear Tin Foil. I don't like hearing radio stations in my head. Lisa is not the kind of person to wear one either. Being careful just in case is not wearing a Tin Foil Hat!

Last edited:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Ok just woke up the iMac with 10.11.1 on it. All my software is there including Lion, Mountain Lion, and Mavericks.

Oh, iPhoto is there also for all your Photo haters out there in MAC land! :D

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
My history is complete back to OS Lion and beyond so if reddit got this pissed over a temporary removal imagine the backlash if Apple really removed these items permanently

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Since Apple does not tell us peons anything, none of us will likely ever know whether this was some upgrade to their software they were going through (or server went down), intentioned as a permanent removal and then had to back pedal, or a test to see if they could get away with removing them. I did notice yesterday that all of my purchased "Apple" apps returned except Aperture which has now reappeared this morning.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Great thoughts Tom! :)

I think any of those are possibilities (Apple was experimenting…there was a server glitch…a hacker attack…etc.). Companies will usually only admit to something if it is positive press for them…too much media backlash to ignore it…or they are compelled to legally.

@everyone: Like I mentioned above. If everything is back to normal…cool.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.