• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

I need help making a DVD

Reaction score
I have made a movie in iMovie. It is my daughter's dance recital. The only problem is that it is 2 hours and 25 minutes long and about 79.53GB. How do I compress it to fit on an 8.5GB DVD?

I am a total newbie this is my first time making a movie.

I have an iMac running OS X Yosemite 10.10.5. I made the movie with iMovie 10.0.9.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I have seen this asked a lot on this forum. Apple use to offer iDVD in the iLife package but have since discontinued offering it in the app store. I have seen some recommendations for an app called Burn which is free.

I have also seen recommendations for Toast but it is a bit costly. But there is an app in the app store called Toast DVD which is also from Roxio and is a lot cheaper at $19.99 and claims to work well with iMovie.

Both apps will take your video and encode it to fit the dvd. Believe it or not - and I do this professionally - 2 1/2 hours of videos can be fit on a standard 4.7GB disk - with the right compression settings. I use a professional package so I am not sure how well these works so I hope some of the others on here chime. I do suggest that If you plan to use an 8.5 dual layer DVD make sure the app you choose and your burner can handle that.

Lisa

Lisa

C

chas_m

If you could find a way to cut 30 minutes of that without affecting the substance of the presentation, that would make your life easier with regards to burning this recital on a standard DVD.

If you can't, then you'll need to burn it on a dual-layer DVD. As Lisa noted, check to see if your burner can handle that.

Reaction score
Burn is a free DVD burning software that can split your video into small clicps for burning to 8.5 GB DVD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
that can split your video into small clicps for burning to 8.5 GB DVD.
No need to split into smaller clips. Burn should be able to fit all your video onto a dual layer dvd, and possibly onto a single layer at reduced quality. Just make sure that you choose the Video DVD option in Burn.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.