My Mac opens with the sound but the screen stays black.

Reaction score
This has happened to me 4 times. The next day my Mac opens correctly, but it takes 36 seconds before the apple appears on screen..

What could be wrong??

Yours sincerely..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
When this happens to me, one of two things usually wakes up the screen: turn off the monitor, or Control-Escape-Option. With the first one, of course you have to turn the monitor back on, and with the second, just close the Force Quit window. But then, you didn't say what kind of Mac you have, so the first one might not be an option for you.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you are able to run Disk Utility and check the drive to see if there are any errors. I'm not so much concerned with permissions errors as directory structure and other errors.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's a Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2013

That model and year MacBook Pro is known to have graphics problems. Make a genius bar appointment and have Apple run diagnostics (the diagnostics are free). If it turns out to be a bad GPU, it may be covered even if the machine is out of warranty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.