Any way to run Excel without installing Windows?

Reaction score
I really hate Windows. It's why I finally got a Mac book bro retina and have not regretted it. But I'm still very new to Apple Life.

And I do have a ton of excel docs with advanced formulas in them and don't have the time to really dig through Numbers and redo them all.

Is there *any* Mac app out there that lets me bring up excel spreadsheets without installing the Windows OS? I have no doubt MS has written code into Windows that will notice it's on an Apple and try its best to corrupt my Mac. They did it with Netscape.

I did read a bit about running windows from a pendrive? But that would mean rebooting the Mac from the pendrive...thus meaning I'm running Windows again... I might as well keep them on the little notebook running Win 7, which I'd like to use my sledge hammer on.

Anyone know of any app that can interface with Excel, without having to run the whole Windows OS?

Craftydad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
There have been Mac versions of MS Office since pre OS X, and still is. You could run Excel, part of Office, in OS X, or try one of the Office compatible applications.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As Steve has said, if you want to use your Excel formulas and macros, you probably need to install Mac Office 2011 or 2016. Both are not inexpensive and it would also mean re-working your macros with VBA so thay can run properly. I have used Numbers and it's not difficult to pick up but it does not support VBA macros or formulas from Windows. You would need to convert them and that is not an easy task.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
As Steve mentioned there is Office for Mac. Office 2016 for Mac was released September 1st, 2015...so no need to run a Windows OS for MS Office.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
There have been Mac versions of MS Office since pre OS X, and still is. You could run Excel, part of Office, in OS X, or try one of the Office compatible applications.

...such as the free Libre Office. But I'm not sure if it supports all of the OP's needs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.