App downloads

Reaction score
Dear Mac User, If I install something in my applications folder, I assume that all the users of the mac, regardless of the account will be able to see and use the application..(ex. Chrome). However, if I change the destination of the installation to my documents, will the other users of the Mac be able to see and use the app??

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Nothing in your own user directory is visible by anyone but you. However, there is a huge caveat there. Any folder created within the standard OS X folders in your user directory (Music, Documents, etc.) have permissions such that only you can view them. However, if you create a folder in your user directory, everyone can read that. That said, there's nothing stopping you from right clicking > Get Info > Sharing & Permissions and fine tuning them to meet your needs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.