Looking to make a guest account.

Reaction score
OK here is what I'm looking to do. I'm taking my MacBookPro to a Headphone meet and only want people to access the music and the players for the music. How do I do it? I have yet to transfer the music from my desktop PC but I think I got that maybe. Any help would be great.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Setup a guest account and make sure that your user account is locked with a password. Anyone using the guest account will not have access to your data nor can they make changes. And once the guest account is logged out of, all changes to it will zero out automatically. Place whatever you want them to have access to in the guest account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I think the OP is looking more for a "how to" rather than a "what to". To keep guest account users from accessing other things, do applications have to be moved to the admin account Applications folder, and only leave those accessible to both in the User Applications folder?

Setting it up happens in System Preferences > Accounts. But arranging things is a different step, isn't it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Couldn't you place the music in a shared folder that all accounts have access to?

OP
B
Reaction score
Setup guest account and put files in the public folder but can't see them in the guest account. I marked them as shared but can't find them in the guest account. I need to make several programs visible also. I never had to do this before just me on the computer so this is new to me. I really need to get this figured out by the weekend. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Hi Buke, does I really need to be "Guest" account? The distinguishing feature of a guest account is that everything in the account is deleted when the "guest" logs out. Considering the trouble you are going to you may be better off just setting up another regular account. That info can be found here:
Adding a New User Account in Mac OS X - For Dummies

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi Buke, does I really need to be "Guest" account? The distinguishing feature of a guest account is that everything in the account is deleted when the "guest" logs out. Considering the trouble you are going to you may be better off just setting up another regular account. That info can be found here:
Adding a New User Account in Mac OS X - For Dummies

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums.

I was thinking this would be OK but does this block all my data but what I want to give access to ?

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I was thinking this would be OK but does this block all my data but what I want to give access to ?
Others can comment / clarify this perhaps better than I can but here goes. First, if possible, move your data into a place inside your user account. Put the data you want users to "see" in a different location. Then create a standard account (one without administrator access).

I would also disable root user access or at the very least put it behind a strong password.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep definitely go the standard user account, no admin rights and place what you want to share into the "Public" folder. For a quick solution to T/F stuff from one account to another is a thumb drive, sometimes it's just less mucking around and do use "fast User Switching" it makes your life a lot simpler if you have to swap back and forward between users a lot. see this article it explains it very well;
How To Utilize Fast User Switching On Your Mac | Mac|Life

OP
B
Reaction score
Others can comment / clarify this perhaps better than I can but here goes. First, if possible, move your data into a place inside your user account. Put the data you want users to "see" in a different location. Then create a standard account (one without administrator access).

I would also disable root user access or at the very least put it behind a strong password.

I guess why the Public files were not seen is because it was a guest account not a regular one.

OP
B
Reaction score
Yep definitely go the standard user account, no admin rights and place what you want to share into the "Public" folder. For a quick solution to T/F stuff from one account to another is a thumb drive, sometimes it's just less mucking around and do use "fast User Switching" it makes your life a lot simpler if you have to swap back and forward between users a lot. see this article it explains it very well;
How To Utilize Fast User Switching On Your Mac | Mac|Life

Thanks for every ones advice. I got the file transfer down. A thumb drive would be too slow for my purposes as I'm transfering about 100 gigs from a PC desktop to my Macbook Pro. I guess all I need to do is make the account and transfer files to that account and I'm done I hope. Thanks again for the help.

OP
B
Reaction score
This is driving me crazy. I set up the other account but my problem is I have to share every folder in the shared Public folder in order to share. I set it in the get info box to share but it doesn't seem to do it I don't know if it takes time for this to happen as I shift users and not all will work. This will take me forever to do this for a couple hundred folders (one for the Artist and one for each album). Can I give the account administrator access and then take it away after I transfer files and they still be able to read them?

OP
B
Reaction score
Got it figured out. Made the account admin and transfered files then changed and it still works. Thanks for the help all.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Give this tip a try. I don't remember for sure but you might have to make the change from an administrator account.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.