what software comes with the downloaded Mavericks from app store ?

Reaction score
Hey guys and galls

Whant to updgrade from snow leopard to mavericks

Seems to be easy and a very do-able thing !

My only concern are twofold ;
1 - What happen with all the goodies that came with SL (photoboot, iphoto, imovies, i***, and more to the point, garage band, which is my bread and butter)
2 - Have several account/users on tap (4) and want to keeps data and config for those users

Understand the importance of making a backup, using TimeMachine (TM), but behond that, haven't had to make a recovery with TM, so that's the scary part and also, don't know how to re-install users account/data with TM

Would like to do a clean install ...

Thank's for the respond and have a nice day

LOP

C

chas_m

By not keeping up-to-date with your OS and software, you've put yourself in a quite difficult position. Assuming you even CAN upgrade to Mavericks (possibly still available by phone order, but Yosemite is the default now and Mavericks is no longer available normally), you'll lose all of that stuff (it's cheaply re-buyable from the Mac App Store however), and all of them except Photobooth are MUCH CHANGED from the versions you're running (iPhoto not even an option, but Photos is very similar in a rearranged-furniture sort of way). In particular, the current Garageband will probably be all but unrecognisable to you. The good news is that version 6.0.5 seems to still work in El Capitan (preserving the crucial-to-me podcasting abilities!), but unless you have that already, you're out of luck on getting it.

This is not to say that Photos and the new versions of Garageband, iMovie, Pages/Numbers/Keynote, iTunes (no more iDVD, sorry mate!) and so aren't great, they're just different.

As for the user accounts and such, Time Machine handles that, no worries -- though again since you're making a HUGE jump, expect some adjustments and broken things, even with Migration Assistant/Time Machine helping you.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Unless you downloaded Mavericks previously…as chas_m mentioned…Mavericks is not currently available from Apple. if you want to do an OS upgrade…need to choose a different version.

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Understand the importance of making a backup, using TimeMachine (TM), but behond that, haven't had to make a recovery with TM, so that's the scary part and also, don't know how to re-install users account/data with TM

Would like to do a clean install ...
If you do a clean install, you'll have no choice - you'll have to set up users and reinstall software from scratch. Anything you downloaded from the App Store will be easy as all that will be required of you is a quick trip to the AS to reinstall everything. New users are also easy - System Preferences > Users & Groups.

Might I suggest making a SuperDuper backup? If you do that, you'll have a fully bootable, bit-for-bit copy of your current install if need be. Do you have a spare external HD?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.