Serial number of new mac says "no date of purchase"

Reaction score
So yesterday I bought two new macbooks, an Air and and a Pro. Since I bought it off an online dealer, I want to make sure it's not refurbished or anything, so I want to check the date of purchase online.
To do this, I entered the serial number of the Air on the apple website, everything was fine. The serial number matched the make of the mac and it said that there is a valid purchase date, which I could make out was correct when I saw till when the coverage is valid. But when I did the same for the Pro, there was no valid purchase date. Why was it there for the Air but not for the Pro? Furthermore, after I entered my date of purchase for the Pro, there was an error as it said that I need proof of purchase. But there was no option to upload any file, and it kept redirecting me back to square one, where I have to enter my date of purchase.
The UAE contact number is perpetually closed, and the dealer that I bought it off are incompetent at helping me out with this. Would really appreciate some light on this!

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Welcome to this forum gauravtee, I had this problem once myself. After achieving the same results as you did I finally gave up and rang Apple but there is a site you can start with if you haven't already. https://supportprofile.apple.com/MySupportProfile.do

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
One of the many problems that you will encounter when you do not purchase direct from Apple or an Apple authorized reseller. Do as Rod suggested and contact Apple direct.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What I was getting at Harry is that he could have gotten a Pro with a bogus serial number. Has happened before and if so, Apple will have nothing to do with the machine.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It's worth adding I think that when I did contact Apple Support they had no qualms about registering the machine and date of purchase details under my name. I had purchased this MBP via eBay and was told that the owner had been awarded this laptop by her company as an end of year bonus aloong with several other employees.
She was a dedicated Windows user so never even opened the box but naturally I suspected the worst. It appears that her company may have purchased about 20 of these MBP's as a consignment order. Either way it's mine now :Mischievous: and Apple got to add a little more info to their data base.

OP
G
Reaction score
A big thank you to all of you for the replies! Here's my update:
I managed to figure out how I can upload my proof of purchase. I clicked on 'email' and I scrolled down to see an upload function. I couldn't see it before because I never clicked on the email page as I assumed it was space for just sending out a generic email to Apple. So anyway, I quickly took a picture of my invoice and sent it along with the email. But it's been over 24 hours and there has been no response.

I just don't understand how, in the same order, one of the macs has a valid purchase date and the other doesn't.

OP
G
Reaction score
Rod Prague, thanks for your suggestion, but the support profile link you gave out in your won't let me add the Pro to my list of products because of the purchase date problem. So I don't see how I can use that link so solve this

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Did you get the date of manufacture for starters?

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, that's what happen to me which is why in the end I had to ring them, there didn't seem to be anyway to actually enter the information however that's where i got their number as I recall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sorry Rod. Question was to OP.

OP
G
Reaction score
Okay so I solved it and here's how: The reseller I bought it from was totally useless in helping me out with this. So I turned to Apple, and after many tries, my call to them finally worked and I got a hold of someone to explain the problem to. She scheduled a called for me the next day with a "senior advisor". The call came pretty much on time, which I was happy about, until I was put on hold for 12 minutes before I even spoke to anyone. So anyway, the guy was extremely helpful and he was able to track down the Pro. He validated the date of purchase while he put me on hold, but it was 3 months before I actually bought it. I'm guessing it's because it was lying in the reseller's warehouse after they bought it, while the Air was only bought on perhaps the same day, which explains why my order took 2 weeks to deliver (they were waiting on the Air). So I was just glad that it was validated and I got the one year service coverage; well, 9 months now. But then few hours later I get an email from Apple saying they changed it to the correct date of purchase. I checked and yes it was updated again, now to the correct date. Surprised by Apple's decent customer service!

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to hear you got it sorted, your description pretty much tallies with my own. It is a pity that so many companies take this attitude of complaint or enquiry filtering through automated support sites. Sometimes matters can only be adequately solved person to person. Live chat often seems to be the best you can get as far as support goes and even that falls short when a number of issues need to be addressed.

C

chas_m

Now, buy the extended AppleCare coverage on those machines before the 90th day to maintain full telephone support for three years!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.