After BOOTCAMP install, Macbook pro always boots to OS X (no choice to boot windows)

Reaction score
I have installed for an ISO file downloaded from MS (MSDN Pro license). My comp is a Macbook Pro Mid-2015. The ISO image is named en_windows_10_enterprise_x64_dvd_6851151.iso.

When looking at storage I see:

BOOTCAMP 150GB /Volumes/BOOTCAMP MS-DOS FAT32 disk0s4
Macintosh HD 349GB / Journaled HFS+ disk1
WINSTALL 31.63GB /Volumes/WININSTALL MS-DOS FAT32 disk2s1

When the mac restarts, it just boots mac OS as if Windows is not there at all. I did not have the chance to perform the windows installation itself (as per step 4 of this guide https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201468).

Any idea what could be wrong? According to this page I should be able to install win10 on my mac.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Go into BootCamp in utilities and print and follow the guidelines there.

The problem seems to be the formatting of the partition. It needs to be in NTFS format and maybe the .iso file needs to be brunt to a thumb drive. Windows 10 is problematical in BootCamp one reads. Driver problems etc.

Apple's Boot Camp now officially supports Windows 10 on Macs | The Verge

OP
M
Reaction score
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Go into BootCamp in utilities and print and follow the guidelines there.

The problem seems to be the formatting of the partition. It needs to be in NTFS format and maybe the .iso file needs to be brunt to a thumb drive. Windows 10 is problematical in BootCamp one reads. Driver problems etc.

Apple's Boot Camp now officially supports Windows 10 on Macs | The Verge

How do I format to NTFS? It never asked me. I tried to remove the partition and BOOTCAMP say it cannot remove it because of an error (it does not specify what error).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First up did you make the partition using BootCamp? Selecting the format style is one of the steps. If you made it some other way it could well be Disk Utility could remove it. One of the requirements for BootCamp is the drive must be in one single partition when you begin.

OP
M
Reaction score
First up did you make the partition using BootCamp? Selecting the format style is one of the steps. If you made it some other way it could well be Disk Utility could remove it. One of the requirements for BootCamp is the drive must be in one single partition when you begin.

I did follow the instructions provided in the link in my OP. So, yes, I did use BootCamp. But I was able to remove it by restarting the computer.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What media was Windows 10 installer on? If you follow the bootcamp instructions it should install. I have never tried 10 on a Mac as yet but with Windows 7 I had no issues.

OP
M
Reaction score
What media was Windows 10 installer on? If you follow the bootcamp instructions it should install. I have never tried 10 on a Mac as yet but with Windows 7 I had no issues.

An ISO file downloaded from my MSDN subscription. It is Windows 10 Enterprise English (DVD).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
An ISO file downloaded from my MSDN subscription. It is Windows 10 Enterprise English (DVD).

Did you burn that to a DVD or a Flash drive? If Flash drive was it bootable on the Mac? Trying to see why the install failed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I just did an install of Windows 10 using bootcamp for my very first time. The version of OS X on the 2009 macbook is 10.11 (El Capitan). I let bootcamp walk me through the install of Windows 7 then I did an upgrade to Windows 10. Bootcamp created the partition and formatted it NTFS. I had no issues with drivers except my Apple mouse does not have the scroll feature available but I think that is normal.

As of now, I have wiped that bootcamp partition. I discovered I needed a bigger partition and for some reason in El Capitan they changed the way disk utility looks and seems to work- or it could be operator error, :Cool: and in my experimenting I messed up the Windows boot. I plan to reinstall after I change the hard drive in my 2009 Macbook to an SSD that has more capacity.

I had no trouble getting bootcamp to remove the partition. Maybe El Capitan made it so smooth. Keep in mind I had messes with expanding the Windows partition using Disk Utilty and then I tried moving it back to the original size. I can safely say that did not work. At which time I removed the whole partition using bootcamp to do it.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No you don't simply boot and hold down Option after the chime.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.