Logging in twice

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
When I go to certain websites I have to log in twice on my MacBook Air, but I do not have to on my PC. For example, on my credit card site, once I log in on my PC I can go anywhere and request all info, but on my Mac, after I log in, changing pages requires another login prompt ie: I'm on the summary page and click on "request statement", I have to log in again. How can I fix the 2nd login requirement?
Thanks,
Lakeside

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which browser are you using? Safari, Chrome, and Firefox can remember your log on info so that it's not necessary to enter it twice. That's probably what's happening when accessing the site with your PC.

OP
L
Reaction score
Which browser are you using? Safari, Chrome, and Firefox can remember your log on info so that it's not necessary to enter it twice. That's probably what's happening when accessing the site with your PC.

Thanks for the reply. On the Mac I use Safari, and on the PC I use IE and Chrome. I guess I'm looking for a setting or permission setting, as I should not be prompted for another login when I'm already inside a site, ie: clicking on an internal link for a statement.
Thanks,
Lakeside

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Make sure that you have the browser set to accept cookies.Most of those kinds of sites set some type of cookie and that is how the site knows you are already logged in. In the current Safari the setting is in Safari>Preferences>Privacy. Choose one of the settings that allows cookies.

Also, make sure that you are not using Private Browsing mode. Because that generally stops cookies it produces the same result as not allowing cookies.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks Slydude,
Cookies are enabled. Private browsing seems to be the issue; good call. That's a drag because I use Private Browsing for banking. Any idea why the PC versions ie: InPrivate browsing on IE and Incognito on Chrome do not have issues? I would like to use Private Browsing on the Mac for banking and such.
Thanks,
Lakeside

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You're welcome. I only thought about the private browsing being an issue because of something that happened earlier today. I tried to use Private Browsing and the site threw up a warning about not working properly with private browsing. I'll have to leave it to someone more familiar with the ins and outs of web browsers / web development to figure out why private browsing fails in some situations where incognito works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
They as a rule do not have the problem as the web sites and security are constructed by MS trained technicians with no or very limited knowledge of the Mac Operating System. Try using Firefox as an alternative browser. It is always wise to have an alternative.

M

MacInWin

Try Safari/Preferences/Password and make sure the "AutoFill user names and passwords" is checked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 13 MacBook Pro, 11" MacBook Air, 64G iPad, iPhone 4
I use my iMac and MacBook for all my banking using Safari and four different baking sites and have never had a problem so it is definitely something about your setup, not a problem with Macs or Safari. I can't give an easy answer but I agree that Private browsing could be a problem as the whole point of it is that it leaves no trace of pages visited on your computer. You ask for a page and it shows on screen. No cookies, no page elements saved and no history of last page visited. If your sites work in Windows with Private Browsing I suggest it may not be as private as you think it is.

My Macs have just been left with all the default settings so if yours does not work check out everything you have changed.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I am curious as to why you would want to use Private Browsing to visit a banking site. Are these shared computers? Even if they were one would not be able to access your account without the account number and password. Private browsing will only hide the fact that you have visited the site, anyone can do that from any computer unless you have allowed your browser to remember the name and password which I would never do, where is the risk?:Confused:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.