Mac Book Air compatibility with Garmin?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 iMac, 2017 MBA
At the moment I am loading pocket queries to my Garmin Dakota using an old net book running XP. I plan to up grade to a Mac Book Air but I know that EasyGPS won't run on a Mac. I have been looking for an alternative but ran across a possible problem in that a Garmin may not connect to a Mac Book Air (or any current Mac) using a USB3 port. Is this still true and if so is there any work round? As much of my use with the air will be Geocaching there will be no point in laying out £££ if it won't work.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 iMac, 2017 MBA
Thanks for the link, I'll try it. As for backwards compatibility I thought so too but apparently it does not work with a Garmin using USB2 on a Mac or Macbook with USB3 ports.

M

MacInWin

USB3 is fully backwards compatible with USB2. If the Garmin won't communicate with the Mac (either port) then the problem is in the Garmin or the software from Garmin to connect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
USB3 is fully backwards compatible with USB2. If the Garmin won't communicate with the Mac (either port) then the problem is in the Garmin or the software from Garmin to connect.

I'm obviously in agreement there MacInWin. I've had issues with Garmin before with an old Etrex which was the entry level workhorse hand held GPS which is why I posted. They seem to have a rash of drivers and belated fixes for almost everything they do which is pretty boring IMHO and there is plenty of anecdotal grumbling on web based forums to back that up. It's solid equipment but about time such a prestigious outfit stepped up to the plate and resolved their compatibility issues with mainstream brands and fundamental connectivity.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 iMac, 2017 MBA
Thanks for the comments guys but they don't help with solving the problem. Wherever the problem lies it is still a fact that a Garmin gps will not communicate with a Mac book air through a USB3 port. So it looks as though I'll have to suffer the old Acer net book for a while yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
They help us get through the day though...a wider discussion about 3rd party devices not working with a Mac is not unusual on here and can help prompt other suggestions that may provide help.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'd like to see the evidence that your model Garmin will not connect via USB 3. Spent over an hour searching the net for such evidence and found nothing related to your model. In fact, I only found this issue related to 2 models and only 1 thread that mentioned Macs at all - in that thread the issue was solved by using a USB 2 hub - the rest of the threads I found - only about a half dozen, were all related to the same issue with Windows and most of those were solved with driver updates. Another had the issue on one computer and not on another - which also leads to believe his case would be software related , not a hardware issue.

If this is in fact the case, I find it hard to believe that there are only about 10 people across the net using a Garmin and also using a computer built in the last two years - all of which are going to have USB 3.

M

MacInWin

I'm with bobtomay. Can you tell us how you are so sure that the Garmin isn't compatible with USB3? I post #1 you said it was a "possible problem in that a Garmin may not connect to a Mac Book Air" and then in post #3 you said. "apparently it does not work with a Garmin using USB2 on a Mac or Macbook with USB3 ports." Then in post #6 you said, "Wherever the problem lies it is still a fact that a Garmin gps will not communicate with a Mac book air through a USB3 port." You have NOT said what the error you saw was, leaving the impression that you've read it somewhere and haven't actually tested it for yourself. Did you download the Mac version of the software at the link in Post #2? If you did, what happened when you tried it?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 iMac, 2017 MBA
Sorry to take so long to get back about this. I found the following on a Garmin forum.

"Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I will be happy to assist you with this issue.I apologize for the devices not being recognized by your MacBook air USB 3. Unfortunately, these devices are not USB 3 compatible and cannot be read if you are attaching the devices directly to the MacBook air. This is also true if you are connecting the Garmin Data Card Reader to the Mac, however, the Mac operating system cannot recognize the Garmin Data Card Programmer at all in that case. If you wish to use the Garmin Data Card Programmer you will need to use a Windows computer. I apologize for this information."

I am not very computer literate but to me this answer seems to imply the problem is with Apple and their usb3 connection as my Montana links perfectly to my Mac desk top via it's usb2 connection. I would still like to replace my current net book but not if I am going to have this problem. I cannot get a straight answer from Apple as they refer me to Garmin telling me it is a Garmin software problem, which I find difficult to believe. Your comments would be appreciated.

M

MacInWin

It's a Garmin problem. USB3 is a standard, Apple follows it. If the Garmin was built to USB standards, then it can be read by the USB port. Garmin need to update the software to read the USB port. Apple has done what it can...make a standard USB port available. From there, it's up to Garmin. Sounds like they played games with the interface and got caught. You still haven't said what the error message was originally. Did you try the software mentioned in post #2?

Frankly, I would discount whoever made that post on whatever Garmin form you were reading. Pure BS, IMHO.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 iMac, 2017 MBA
Thanks for taking the time to post a reply. I don't have an error message nor have I tried any other software as I do not have access to a Mac Book Air. I am simply getting the information from the Garmin Forums from where the previous quote was copied. What I cannot understand is why a Garmin Montana which works OK when linked to a Mac pc with usb2 will not apparently work with a Mac Book Air when using a usb3 which I understand to be backward compatible.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What I cannot understand is why a Garmin Montana which works OK when linked to a Mac pc with usb2 will not apparently work with a Mac Book Air when using a usb3 which I understand to be backward compatible.

Jake answered your question above. The explanation is that Garmin has fallen behind in that their devices are not compatible with USB 3, which by the way, has been an industry standard for some time.

M

MacInWin

Thanks for taking the time to post a reply. I don't have an error message nor have I tried any other software as I do not have access to a Mac Book Air. I am simply getting the information from the Garmin Forums from where the previous quote was copied. What I cannot understand is why a Garmin Montana which works OK when linked to a Mac pc with usb2 will not apparently work with a Mac Book Air when using a usb3 which I understand to be backward compatible.
So, re-reading the entire thread, you don't actually know if it will work or not because you haven't bought the MBA, don't have the software and haven't actually attached (or tried to attach) your Montana to a USB3 anything, much less an MBA. You seem to be reacting to something you read somewhere, with us chasing all around finding solutions you can't try.

Here's a practical suggestion: take your Garmin, and the cables for it, to an Apple store or Apple seller, see if you can get them to let you see if the Garmin can attach to the MBA you are interested in, with the understanding that if it does, you'll buy that MBA right there, on the spot. I would bet that they would, under that condition, let you try it, maybe even let you install the software on it from Post #2 (which has, BTW, been updated to run under ElCap, the latest version of the OS).

Alternatively, and somewhat less honorable, IMHO, you can buy the MBA from an Apple store, try it right away and if it doesn't work, take it back for a refund. Last time I checked Apple was taking back systems for 14 days after purchase. Here's the policy they use: http://www.apple.com/shop/help/returns_refund

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
I gave up on Garmin a long time ago. I bought the geocaching app and off I go. I know that routing and such are nice, but I have found other apps for that. Garmin and others are having a hard time now with all the GPS stuff and maps since everyone is on the bandwagon now by putting out their version.

M

MacInWin

According to that article, the only differences it noted between USB2 and USB3 are the connectors for additional functionality of USB3. Plugging a USB2 device into a USB2 port is fully supported in the specifications.

C

chas_m

Was about to say: USB 3.0 is **FULLY** backward compatible with USB 2.0. There isn't any argument about this (except among the misinformed, and in this thread!). The problem here, if there is one at all really (random internet forum postings = not the most reliable sourcing) would be with the Garmin firmware or any needed driver, not with the connector.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.