Should I switch to Firefox?

Reaction score
I have been using Safari and its pretty bland. What benefits would I get if I switch to Firefox?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Themes and extensions I suppose.

I've not encountered a site that Firefox could load that Safari couldn't, so there would be no practical reason to switch. Firefox is a really popular browser for Mac, though, so you'd probably enjoy using it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I use FF on my PCs at work, but see no reason to switch on my Macs at home. Safari does just fine. You can jazz up Safari with a program called "Safaricon" if you like.

D

DreamingAloud

cooljoe815 said:
I have been using Safari and its pretty bland. What benefits would I get if I switch to Firefox?

I use Safari most of the time, but do have Firefox for a couple of reasons:

1. When you hover over a link in Firefox, the target is shown at the bottom of the page (sometimes a girl needs to know these things!);
2. The search components in Firefox are very nifty - I have something similar for Safari, but it's not nearly as customisable as the Firefox ones. It's great for shopping - you can look at the same thing on Amazon, Play and eBay (for example) and compare really easily;
3. I have found a single website that doesn't work in Safari but does in Firefox (Old Navy's website - yeah yeah, I'm a girl, I shop, therefore I am :) ).

It's also good if I let my friends/family who aren't used to Macs use my iBook - Firefox is familiar for them since I converted them from IE long ago!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" i7 Unibody, HK Speakers and a Wacom A5 Wide tablet
What about Firefox or Camino I'm using Camino now and would like to know if there's much improvement. I have to say regarding Safari or Firefox, Safari is pretty similar as I used Firefox on PC (that was a bad time for me) and if your after a tabbed browser (just like FireFox) Safari is good as the rendering times are only marginal but I'm not sure if thats the case on the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
I love Safari... I only use firefox as a backup for some sites that use advanced javascript. Unfortunately Safari JS is still considered beta. :eek:neye:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
DreamingAloud said:
I use Safari most of the time, but do have Firefox for a couple of reasons:

1. When you hover over a link in Firefox, the target is shown at the bottom of the page (sometimes a girl needs to know these things!);

You can turn this feature on in Safari by pressing Command+/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
I am always surprised by the number of people who like FF but never mention Camino. Personally I like Camino over FF (they are both Gecko browsers and closely related BTW) because FF doesn't really 'act' like a Mac program, whereas Camino does "Mozilla Power, Mac Style"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
Opera here...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I run Safari here mostly and use Opera, Camino and Firefox in that order if the page has problems in Safari. I really like the way Safari works and looks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
IMO Firefox loads pages, pics and everything alot quicker and faster. Safari gets a lil laggy for some reason. I have OSX 10.3.9 and still have Mac Internet Explorer, that works great, but havent had any updates to it in a while cause Microsoft stopped support for the application.

NO problems at all with FF. DL it and give it a try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i have found that on my iBook with Panther that Camino loads faster, but it doesnt feel right to me. i use firefox on teh iBook like Sarahsboy said, for advanced java or to access my router, and i use safari mainly. on the iMac with Tiger, Safari 2.0 has worked with everything that i need it to work with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i use both, but if u use firefox there are some very easy tweaks that make it faster and maybe safer.

ctm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch
I have used Firefox for a while, as IE was.... well..... i didn't use it, and Safari was disappointing, especially with speed.

However, now that Safari is running native Intel, and I presume the version of firefox i have is partying with Rosetta, Safari now seems to be much much faster.

Still haven't switched though because i like Firefox and eagerly awaiting (and hoping for) universal binaries!

[EDIT] Just been to Firefox website and Universal binaries are well on their way!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.