Automatic Facebook Account Setup for Notifications in OS X?

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me. Long story short, I recently found out that a co-worker has been receiving my Facebook notifications on their OS X mac laptop.
I don't ever remember using their laptop at all, let alone checking my Facebook on it. However, I recently had to quickly use their computer for a work related task (they actually gave it to me, so I'm not snooping) and I was very surprised when it suddenly alerted me to my OWN facebook updates.

I did some checking, and sites like this seem to indicate that you need to manually set-up the Facebook account for notifications, which I would NEVER do.
I will fully admit that this co-worker sometimes asks me for computer help and there may have been a slim chance I logged into my account when they said they had Facebook issues (we use it for work). I can't remember this happening, but it's a slim possibility.

I downloaded my Facebook history and sure enough there is an active session with their exact mac and IP address that goes as far back as Jan 5, 2015. There were recent updated sessions even last week.

On the off chance that they have been completely oblivious to these notifications for many months, and at some point I did log into Facebook via the Facebook page... could the Mac have possibly automatically generated a notification account? Or did my account info (including password) 100% NEED to be entered manually?

Another wrinkle is that their Facebook account isn't even setup for notifications, even though I've seen them log into their own account on the computer multiple times. Mine is the only Facebook account setup in the settings.

I'm not doing anything yet until I know for sure. It's possible that they didn't do this on purpose and I would hate to confront them if so. Any help would be very much appreciated.

P.S.- If this is in the wrong section, I apologize.

Reaction score
To get Facebook notifications you need to set it up in System Preferences/Internet Accounts.
You would have to enter a username and password. If this is truly YOUR account on their computer, go to System Preferences and delete the account.

OP
L
Reaction score
It is my account and I intend to do that. However, I just wanted to make absolute 100% sure that there was no way that OS X would automatically set that up from me just logging into the Facebook page in Safari.

I've looked around the internet and I've only found a couple comments from people saying that their 'family member' is getting their notifications after they logged into facebook on their computer. But everywhere else I looked, including the Apple support site, said that it had to be manually entered.

So just to be clear... there is no way, that you know of, that my facebook account information could have been entered into the System Preferences/Internet Accounts without someone manually putting it in? There isn't some kind of auto-integration with the Facebook page or built into OS X?

This is very important, as I must have all the facts when I confront this person. I may have to quit my job and this could become a legal matter. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
It is my account and I intend to do that. However, I just wanted to make absolute 100% sure that there was no way that OS X would automatically set that up from me just logging into the Facebook page in Safari.
… … ...
This is very important, as I must have all the facts when I confront this person. I may have to quit my job and this could become a legal matter. Thank you.

If this is that critical and going to become a legal and work matter I'd suggest you contact a Mac security professional and specifically one that might want to get a backup of all your data and what''s been available and used by who etc. You'll probably need to have proper backup proof.

Reaction score
I don't use Safari but if I remember correctly it will ask you if you want Notifications for certain sites. Thing is, you have to click 'Yes' for it to work.
Follow the advice pm-r gave you if this is that serious. Seek legal advice.

OP
L
Reaction score
If this is that critical and going to become a legal and work matter I'd suggest you contact a Mac security professional and specifically one that might want to get a backup of all your data and what''s been available and used by who etc. You'll probably need to have proper backup proof.

The problem is that I only have their computer for a very limited time. I took as many relevant screenshots as I could, but I doubt I could take it to a "Mac Security Professional" to do what you describe. I'd also have to find someone like that in our small town.

Even if they did this on purpose another problem is that they don't have exclusive access to this work computer. Others have used it in the past as well, so it would be almost impossible to nail them for it.

I'm just going to delete everything and change my password. I also intend to bring it up with them casually ("Hey, I noticed something weird when I was using your Mac...") and see how they respond. But unless they admit to it I'm basically screwed and there is nothing I can do.

Thanks for the help everyone.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm just going to delete everything and change my password. I also intend to bring it up with them casually ("Hey, I noticed something weird when I was using your Mac...") and see how they respond. But unless they admit to it I'm basically screwed and there is nothing I can do.

You're using the right method. After all, you really have no evidence that this was a purposeful act and there is no point burning down a bridge that you may need to cross someday. ;D

OP
L
Reaction score
You're using the right method. After all, you really have no evidence that this was a purposeful act and there is no point burning down a bridge that you may need to cross someday. ;D

This is very true. Thanks again for the information and advice everyone.

Could you or another mod possibly delete this thread now that this is settled? Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We don't delete threads. The information may be useful for someone else in the future.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.