Help With Canon Wireless Printer

Reaction score
I'm a pretty seasoned Mac user (I've been steadily using Mac since 2002) but I'm having one heck of a time with my Canon printer!

It is a wireless Pixma MG5620. All drivers are up to date, firmware is up to date, the printer is connected to my secured wireless network (through my Airport Extreme router) I used this printer for approx four months with NO issues. I use it almost solely for school work (I'm a student, so printing handouts and papers, etc) so during the summer I barely touched the printer at all. Now that the fall semester has started, I'm trying to use the printer again but for some reason I'm having so much trouble!! The printer will not print unless I restart the printer first (by that I mean shut down printer, wait thirty seconds, reboot printer.) I have to do this between every print job, or whenever my printer sleeps. I haven't been able to find a setting to keep the printer from sleeping. I changed the "Eco Setting" to never shut off, but it still goes to sleep. When it sleeps and I try to print, the Print Queue screen says "the printer is not connected." When I wake the printer by pressing the "Home" button, it still claims the printer is not connected until I restart the printer.

PLEASE tell me there is a workaround for this?? I plan on contacting Customer Support for Canon, but they're closed on weekends. Thanks in advance to any advice or help anyone can offer!

For the record, I'm using a MacBook Air with Yosemite 10.10.5

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to Mac-Forums.

What you might want to try is reset your printing system in OS X and then reinstall the Canon. Follow these directions. Note.. it will say it's for Lion but it's also for Yosemite. I will add one thing: Canon printers are a headache to get working right, especially wireless. And good luck with Canon support. Let us know if you need any further assistance.

OP
T
Reaction score
Welcome to Mac-Forums.

What you might want to try is reset your printing system in OS X and then reinstall the Canon. Follow these directions. Note.. it will say it's for Lion but it's also for Yosemite. I will add one thing: Canon printers are a headache to get working right, especially wireless. And good luck with Canon support. Let us know if you need any further assistance.

I just tried this, no luck :( I let the printer time out and tried to print a test page, and got the same "Printer is not connected" notice. What a pain..... I'm surprised by this considering the printer worked flawlessly for the first few months that I had it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I feel your pain. My Canon Pixma MP990 looses connection from time to time in much the same manner that yours does. Sometimes I can go weeks with no issues followed by a day when I have to power cycle the printer between print jobs. In my case it seemed to perform better when attached to the USB port on my Time Capsule rather than running completely wirelessly but I lost the ability to check ink levels without disconnecting it from the Time capsule and connecting directly to it via USB. With the built-in wireless capability configured properly I can check ink or scan wirelessly so I put up with the occasional connection drops.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I know it's probably the 101 of fixes so apologies to sage friends beforehand but have you run Repair Disk Permissions in Disk Utility recently? Printers and their plists come up quite often.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 1st ed 15"
The printer will not print unless I restart the printer first (by that I mean shut down printer, wait thirty seconds, reboot printer.

Same issue for a while now with my Brother HL-L2340D , and now I just added another printer to the network tonight - a Canon Pixma iX6820 - and I'm seeing the same exact problem. I literally need to restart the printer between each job since it loses connection and won't find the printer (code 300) no matter what I do.

I have 2 MacBook Pro Retina 15" early 2013 on my network, one on latest Mountain Lion one on latest Yosemite. Network is powered by a newish Time Capsule Base Station. It is also extended sometimes with an old Airport Express. There's a 2010 Mac Mini on the network too though I never print from it, as well as various iOS devices that encounter the same connectivity issues when I try air printing.

And yes, I repair permissions regularly, but regardless, this is happens across computers and printers, including one installed half an hour ago. Really frustrating.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.