First Day With a Mac - Impressions, Minor Issues, Much Love

Reaction score
Posting this from my new Mac mini. I'm moving to Mac this year - work is getting me a Powerbook and I'm going to buy an iMac in Novemberish. But I'm starting with this mini, which eventually will slide over to being a family machine.

First time I've used a Mac since 1998, and the first Apple PC I've owned since the Apple ][e. I've owned all the iOS devices so I'm somewhat familiar, and I'm definitely a power user (IT pro by trade). I've used nearly every operating system under the sun, from mainframes to Linux, but I'm coming to Yosemite cold.

My initial impressions:

• OSX strikes a nearly perfect balance between "easy to use, but if you want to use power user features, they're there, too". I love how much is exposed but only if you need it.
  • I got an Apple Keyboard and after an hour went back to my Microsoft Natural 4000. Just did not like the Apple keyboard. The magic mouse was nice, but I ended up using the magic trackpad which is just plain neat.
  • Biggest hurdle so far...keyboard shortcuts! I have all the Windows shortcuts in my head and End, Control-Home, etc. don't do the same things on a Mac. Not a big deal, just need to retrain my fingers, but it made my first session using Scrivener very painful. I really didn't anticipate this but man do I have a lot of finger macros to relearn.
  • The Mini has been very fast and responsive. I have the 1TB fusion drive and the 2.8Ghz i5. Have not had a single slowdown. I do notice that Safari is a huge memory pig but only because I looked in the activity monitor.
  • The Terminal is awesome. One of the nicest terminal apps I've used on any platform and I do a lot of ssh/terminal work.
  • Setting up mail, calendar, etc. was ridiculously easy - logged into Google and the Mac asked me if I wanted to setup my whole chain of apps and wah-lah, it was done.
  • I do find the dock/taskbar a little disorienting. In Windows, I use the Quick Launch (yes, you can still enable it) to launch and the task bar to see what's running, in a nice two-row display. OSX is similar but I'm still groping with switching to running apps, minimizing/maximizing groups of apps, etc., and there is no concept of multiple iterations of an app running (or I haven't found it, which is likely). I'm putting this down to beginner needing to learn more shortcuts/howtos. The little black dot under running apps is not as visually easy to digest as the taskbar. And some apps (activity monitor, console, etc.) seem to always stay running even if you close them, which is confusing. For example, there's now an Activity Monitor icon in my task bar with a black dot, but it wasn't there before I ran it and it won't go away regardless of red-X-clicking.
  • I miss the "minimize all apps in one click and show the desktop" button, though there's probably a keyboard shortcut I'm missing.
  • Some Macisms are a little strange. For example, I downloaded the Dropbox installer and the .dmg shows up as a mounted disk volume. I read up on it but it's still strange.
  • Volume adjustment...seriously, why isn't there a speaker icon :)
  • Firewall not on by default? Weird, though if no services are running it's semi-academic...but I turned it on.
  • I wish there was a "what just made that noise" display...something is making a notification periodically but I haven't tracked it down (I'm aware of the control panel item).
  • I seem to be constantly discovering new shortcuts and pieces of the OS...I think ultimately this will be an extremely fast, fluid work environment once I have a little more time with it to learn.
  • Safari is...meh...not bad, but I may go back to Chrome as it's supported on all platforms and Safari is not.

I haven't migrated anything from Windows yet.

Three things that I need to still figure out...

Remote access...going Mac to Win via the Microsoft RDP app has worked flawlessly. But going Win to Mac is using a somewhat less elegant VNC connection. It's not as nice as Microsoft's RDP. And eventually I'll want to go Mac-to-Mac and I'm hoping I don't need to spend $80 for Apple's app. I don't need over-the-Internet remote, just local LAN (in my house).

Backups...my backup plan is CrashPlan & Time Machine to a Synology NAS. I haven't fully researched if I need a Carbon Copy/Super Duper/etc. backup. I figure if this sealed box breaks, it's going to Apple for a new hard drive, and those products are more for putting in your own hard drive...right?

Space...for this mini, 1TB is fine, but when I get my iMac, 3TB won't really be enough. I really find that perplexing. I easily have a couple TB of video and media files, and add in project/personal files, pictures, videos, etc. it's very easy to have more than 3TB of personal data. My Win 10 box has ~8TB of space and I'm easily at 80%. I have a Synology NAS, but it's much slower than local disk...I suppose there's external drives. And it bugs me that all the Mac configs are single HDD which makes RAID impossible. Until now, every PC I've built has used RAID-1. I understand the Mac ethos which is much less DIY but the relatively modest HDDs are just strange to me.

All in all, it's been a fun day. And this forum has been invaluable!

C

chas_m

I'm glad you're having a good time getting used to the Mac, but I think you're work is more likely buying you a MacBook Pro -- Powerbooks haven't been made in a very long time!

Local-area networking is built-in, there should be no need to buy or install anything.

Backups: a bootable local backup is always a nice idea, so I'd suggest CCC to an external hard drive on top of the Time Machine (which is complete but not bootable) and CrashPlan backups.

As for space, you asked and this has been answered elsewhere. Thunderbolt essentially erases the line between internal and external drives, so put your space hogs on external drives.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
My initial impressions:

• I do find the dock/taskbar a little disorienting. In Windows, I use the Quick Launch (yes, you can still enable it) to launch and the task bar to see what's running, in a nice two-row display. OSX is similar but I'm still groping with switching to running apps, minimizing/maximizing groups of apps, etc., and there is no concept of multiple iterations of an app running (or I haven't found it, which is likely). I'm putting this down to beginner needing to learn more shortcuts/howtos. The little black dot under running apps is not as visually easy to digest as the taskbar. And some apps (activity monitor, console, etc.) seem to always stay running even if you close them, which is confusing. For example, there's now an Activity Monitor icon in my task bar with a black dot, but it wasn't there before I ran it and it won't go away regardless of red-X-clicking.
Some applications do stay open when you use the red dot to close them. All that does is close the open window. The most reliable way to quit a program and make sure it isn't running is to either choose Quit from the File menu (shortcut Command Q)
  • Volume adjustment...seriously, why isn't there a speaker icon :)
You can put the volume/speaker icon in the menubar at the top of the screen quite easily. Open System Preferences and go to the Sound preference pane. Click "Show Volume in menu bar". As a bonus if you hold down the Option key while clicking on that icon you can change sound input/output settings without opening the sound preference pane.
Remote access...going Mac to Win via the Microsoft RDP app has worked flawlessly. But going Win to Mac is using a somewhat less elegant VNC connection. It's not as nice as Microsoft's RDP. And eventually I'll want to go Mac-to-Mac and I'm hoping I don't need to spend $80 for Apple's app. I don't need over-the-Internet remote, just local LAN (in my house).
If your needs are pretty basic you chan use the file and screen sharing options built into OS X. No additional software needed on the Mac side of things.

OP
M
Reaction score
I'm glad you're having a good time getting used to the Mac, but I think you're work is more likely buying you a MacBook Pro -- Powerbooks haven't been made in a very long time!

Oops, that's what I meant.

Backups: a bootable local backup is always a nice idea, so I'd suggest CCC to an external hard drive on top of the Time Machine (which is complete but not bootable) and CrashPlan backups.

I actually talked to the Apple store guy about this. So if my mini breaks, I assume I drive to the Apple store and they put in a new drive, then I come home and restore my TimeMachine backups...right?

Some applications do stay open when you use the red dot to close them. All that does is close the open window. The most reliable way to quit a program and make sure it isn't running is to either choose Quit from the File menu (shortcut Command Q)

You can put the volume/speaker icon in the menubar at the top of the screen quite easily.

Thanks! I figured this was newbie ignorance and I was right :)

If your needs are pretty basic you chan use the file and screen sharing options built into OS X. No additional software needed on the Mac side of things.

BTW, can you share files from Mac -> Windows? So if I put pictures on my Mac, can my wife look at them, etc. on her Windows PC?

I know how to share Win->Win and Linux->Win with Samba, but haven't yet investigated Mac->Win. I assume Mac->Linux is possible with nfs.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Yes. In the event of a drive failure you can use Time Machine to restore the contents of your drive if the OS has been installed on the new drive first. You cannot boot directly from the Time Machine backup. To have a bootable external drive you would need cloning software such as SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner.

Sharing files Mac to Win used too be a royal pain requiring third-party software. Now it is possible using the Mac's built in file sharing capabilities. There are probably simpler overviews out there but this should give you the general idea.

I've never tried Linux to Mac sharing personally but it should be possible. If I read your post correctly a Win>Linux share is accomplished through Samba. Since OS X understands Samba it thoud have no shoulduble with the Linux share.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
A suggestion for you to help with file sharing and remote access. Try TeamViewer, it works brilliantly and is cross platform, even smart phones. Also its free for home use.
https://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

OP
M
Reaction score
A suggestion for you to help with file sharing and remote access. Try TeamViewer, it works brilliantly and is cross platform, even smart phones. Also its free for home use.
https://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

Thanks, I will look at that.

So is TV designed for LAN use or is it over-the-internet? I don't need (or want, actually) Internet remote desktop, just on my home LAN. I'd prefer not to have to authenticate with a third party but I could live with it.

Essentially, I want to go from my Windows laptop sitting on my couch to my Mac in my office.

I tried VNC with TightVNC but the experience is not very good because it doesn't resize the screen...so you either have to scroll around (ugh) or it shrinks it down and everything is painfully small.

When I use Microsoft RDP to go Windows to Windows or Mac to Windows, the experience is quite nice - it resizes the screen and adjusts resources like resolution, number of colors, etc. quite nicely. Just looking for something similar for Windows to Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac Mini (Base Model, High Sierra); iPad 2018 (Latest iOS); iPhone 7 (Latest iOS)
To be honest file sharing shouldn't be an issue at all. The issue is file formats - if the formats are readable by both machines, then your gold. And the answer to that is pretty much, yes, everything is sharable, unless it needs a special program to view it because of proprietary file formats. So like, I take a picture on my iPhone (which, thanks to iCloud, appears on my Mac as well). I then put those on a pen drive and give them to my wife to look at. She can! No problems, really.

M

MacInWin

As for the firewall in OS X, there is a steady debate about whether or not it's needed. If your LAN is behind a firewall (your router probably has one built in) and if your wireless is secure (WPA2/strong password), then the software firewall may be redundant. My software firewall is ON, but more because my Mac is a laptop and because I occasionally take it out and use public networks, I don't want to forget to turn it on there, where it is needed. So I leave it on. There are some folks here who prefer to leave it OFF and only turn it on when they use a public network, arguing that two firewalls are redundant and offer no additional protection while at the same time creating possible conflicts between the two firewalls. I've never seen that, but I suppose it could happen. It's entirely up to you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.