copying songs to USB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
Started loading certain tracks of my CDs into iTunes...also bought 11 songs on iTunes today. I thought CDs were in the .wma format. But when I view the CDs on my .iMac, the files are .aiff. Wikipedia says this an OS X extension. I know the extensions on the CDs are not really .aiff, but am unsure how to view them where I could just copy certain tracks onto a USB drive. There are programs to convert .aiff to MP3, but don't know what site is safe to download from, and do i really need to do that? Open to suggestions.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks mate. Unable to give you a thumbs up as I need to 'spread it around a little more' first. Printed out the instructions. Will try it later.
Was going to ask why my CD copied songs don't show up on my iPad but found for $24.99/year i could do that. Someone...maybe you... mentioned alternatives to iTunes: Apple Music, Google play music snd Xbox music...I never used an Xbox or playstation in my life and don't plan to start now...although my nephews play with them.
Do you know if Apple Music or Google Play Music would allow me to access my iTunes and CD copied songs on my computer and iPad? I'll check them out later, but if you know the answer it would save me some time.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Wow thats news to me I'm sure my CD copied songs are available in Music on my iPhone (my wife has an iPad) I don't know why you would have to pay $24.9......lets just say $25 and be done with it. Why should you have to pay to listen to the music you have already purchased?
I have just checked and my CD's are all on my iPhone are you talking about the yearly Apple music subscription? When Apple starts charging me to listen to my own music I'll be swapping to another media manager.
Perhaps someone else can shine some light on this.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes the yearly Apple music subscription. The CD songs I copied into iTunes won't show on my iPad. But will if I pay the yearly fee according to Apple.
Maybe I'm doing this wrong. Maybe if I copy the tracks directly into my Music folder, then they would appear under Music on my iPad. It's almost 1:30 AM so I'll try that tomorrow.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think it may be iTunes Match that is the problem here. This also costs $25 per year but it is all part of the iTunes Music bundle. I found after the update to iOS 8.4 that iTunes Match was switched on on my iPhone (I had accepted the 3 months free trial of My Music) because I did a sync via USB and noted that the iPhone Menu for music no longer showed playlists, albums, songs etc. It said all my music was now available on my device via iTunes Match. So I went to my settings on my phone switched off iTunes Match(note it now says "Subscribe" to iTunes Match). I have left iCloud Music Library on but that is not necessary either it simply means songs I get from iTunes on my iPhone appear in my Mac iTunes library.
After switching off iTunes match I was able to choose what music synced to my iPhone during sync with iTunes on my laptop which includes CD's and downloads from other sources. The iPhone Music library also retains any music downloaded from iTunes for "Make Available Off Line." So now I have the best of both worlds, I can manually choose what syncs to my iDevice and I don't have to pay a subscription fee for My Music although I probably will renew but that's my choice.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't have an iPhone. But iTunes on my iPad only shows the song I purchased from iTunes via my iMac. Haven't subscribed to iMatch. Not sure how to check if I have inadvertently subscribed to iMatch on my iPad. Don't believe I have. iMatch (for $25/yr) will let me view my CD copied tracks on my iPad. Most of them anyway...they match your CD song to their music library and the match is what they show...if a song doesn't match, it won't show up in the iPad. Don't know where else to store music on my iPad except iTunes. Don't know much about my iPad to begin with.
Found a program...'iMazing". It allows you to transfer your iTunes library between iOS devices. Not sure if it allows transfers from my iMac to my iPad. i may have to pay for iMatch unless Google Play Music or other such program can do it for free.
On the plus side The info on converting .iaff to .wma of Mp3 worked great. Now i can burn some CDs and load some USB devices.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
Hi Bill,

ITunes Match just syncs your libraries over the cloud, without a need to dock your device. If you sync your iPad against you iTunes library where you have ripped music it should appear.

Have you tried that yet?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haven't tried that and not sure where to begin. How do i sync my iPad to my iTunes library? Earlier I found something on the internet I believe from Apple...I'll try to find it again...and it said I would have to sign up for iMatch in order to view my songs copied from my CDs on my iPad. Not sure if that was an iOS change from a previous policy. I'll yry and find that post.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You should just need to plug your iPad into your computer running iTunes with a Lightening lead and it will sync / back up.

Do you currently backup you iPad against a computer or iCloud?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did try syncing my iPad to to my Mac iTunes. Pressed the sync button and...not sure how long to wait until they are synced up...so after 15 seconds checked my iPad and still only iTunes purchased songs show on my iPad.
I Have never backed up my iPad against my iMac or iCloud. Nothing to back up as far as I know as all my music originates from my Mac. My iPad has, and can play, the songs in my iTunes library that I purchased from iTunes, but none of the songs I copied from my CDs show up on my iPad. According to Apple, if I subscribe to iMatch ($25/yr) then my other songs will be available on my iPad. Just type in iMatch and you'll see the info. Maybe it was doable before, and with the latest iOS, iPad is blocked from viewing copied CDs, so Apple can make money by getting us to subscribe to iMatch I don't know as this iOS and iPad is my first.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use Match, so I am familiar with it. :)

I will wager that 'sync music' is unchecked for your iPad in iTunes on your computer. This seems to be the default when you have already purchased music on your device before sync'ing music.

Attach your iPad, then in iTunes go to the Music tab. Check that 'sync music' (or similar - I am away from my computer) is checked, then click the sync button bottom right. You might get a warning message saying that music on the device will be removed, but that is ok based on what you have told us.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I get an indication on my iPad saying: Loading. Not sure if it is 'loading' my CD songs on my Mac to my iPad or what. I have about 50 or so CD songs on iTunes. Should the iPad continue " loading"...so far for a few minutes. Is that normal? In front of the Loading is a circular dash lines that continue rotating. Top middle of the iPad says connect. Bottom right @ sign is in red. Don't know if this will ever end.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Pete, here is a link which is the best I can find on syncing your iPad to iTunes. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201253
Be aware that syncing works both ways, you can not only load stuff from your computer to your iPad but your computer will make a backup copy of everything that is on your iPad for recovery or re installation.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PS it could take 30 min first time dependant on the amount of data you can watch progress on the progress bar at the top of the iTunes window.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Rod for the link. I have tried that same link before. See #13 post. When I connect my iPad, should it be unlocked? Set to Music? I ask this because my iPad dims then goes black screen after maybe 5 minutes or less. When I slide to unlock and put my code in it reverts back to Music and shows that it is loading. Does it matter at all if my iPad goes to a black screen where I have to put in my code to unlock it or is that not something i need to be concerned about? If so, how can I keep the iPad from dimming out?
I did not see or remember if there was progress bar at the top of iTunes on my Mac or is it the iPad? Ill try again and look for that.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure where my last post vanished to, so I'll do this again. My problem has been solved. I have been attempting to sync iTunes copied CDs to my iPad while highlighting Summary and not Music on iTunes on my Mac, notwithstanding the picture under section 5 of the link, which I failed to see. In my defense it printed out very small, although my eyesight is way better than my hearing. Once I went to Music and hit Apply, all 64 song went to my iPad, Took just a few minutes and I could see the progress on my Mac.
Much thanks to dbm and Rod for their patience in seeing me through this problem.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did thumbs up for dbm, but i am told I must spread it around for Rod. Doesn't matter. I know the help you have provided on this and other posts of mine. Much appreciated.

C

chas_m

ITunes Match is a great little service but it is in no way mandatory to sync some songs from iTunes to your iOS device. Once iTunes detects your device (wired or wirelessly), you can tell it what songs from your main iTunes Library you'd like to have on the device and it will copy them over (takes longer wirelessly than wired, of course). Once copied, they'll play on the device.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pete, glad it all worked out for you. It doesnt matter what you highlight during sync it runs automatically through all of the headings, they are there only so you can set what you want to sync for that heading, like Apps, Pictures, Movies etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.