Unable to import photos

Reaction score
I use Yosemite, and have Photos on my computer. If I try and import pictures from an SDHC card (which is inserted in the card reader on the computer) to Photos, I am unable to find the SDHC card file in the desktop file.
In the past, this wasn't a problem. I was always able to import pictures from the desktop folder. I also use Picasa and Nikons View NX2. Are these programs some how interfering with the import to Photos? Any help is appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello - please provide specs on your computer (i.e. model/year); first, I would suggest checking in Finder and in the Sidebar feature - see attached pic to determine if your SDHC card is mounted (should appear as shown w/ the blue arrow; SD card from my old Lumix camera) and also look at the two tabs in 'Finder Preferences' to see if the appropriate boxes are checked for your drives to appear? Second, if the SD is not shown as mounted, have you tried another one, i.e. your card under discussion could have a problem? Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-08-28 at 12.19.26 PM.png

OP
S
Reaction score
Imac 21.5, late 2009; 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 OS 10.10.5

I did as you suggested and in the sidebar everything is checked, and the SD card is listed under all my files.

In checking the desktop folder the SD card is not listed....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Something's not right. The SD card should be listed under "Devices" as Dave has indicated in his screen shot. I just inserted a 16 GB SD card that I have and it appeared under "Devices" just like Dave's. It does not show up under "All my Files". Your SD card could be defective but first make sure that the protect switch on the card is in the correct position (if the card has a switch).

OP
S
Reaction score
Let me apologize.....The SD was listed under devices in the all my files column. I should have been a little bit clearer on that. So everything is checked and the card is under devices. What am I doing wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use Yosemite, and have Photos on my computer. If I try and import pictures from an SDHC card (which is inserted in the card reader on the computer) to Photos, I am unable to find the SDHC card file in the desktop file.
In the past, this wasn't a problem. I was always able to import pictures from the desktop folder. I also use Picasa and Nikons View NX2. Are these programs some how interfering with the import to Photos? Any help is appreciated!

Hi again - please see the statements quoted above in bold - I'm not completely sure what you mean by 'desktop file' - when I plug in an camera's SD card, the dialog box shown below appears - is this what you are also seeing or something else? If the latter, can you post an image. BTW, I don't import my images into a program, i.e. prefer to go into Finder, open the card, and then do my transfers to the Pictures folder - from there you are then open to multiple choices. Let us know - Dave
Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 10.31.26 AM.png

OP
S
Reaction score
I figured out that if I opened a new folder on my desktop, and transferred the pictures from the memory card to that folder, that I would then be able to import the pictures to Photo. I think at least part of my problem is that I have a couple of photo programs that are fighting over who should import the pictures. Thanks to all for the help. It is really appreciated!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
View attachment 22853
I figured out that if I opened a new folder on my desktop, and transferred the pictures from the memory card to that folder, that I would then be able to import the pictures to Photo. I think at least part of my problem is that I have a couple of photo programs that are fighting over who should import the pictures. Thanks to all for the help. It is really appreciated!!!

Hi again, why not just transfer your images from the SD card to the 'Pictures' folder in Finder (as shown in my previous posted image)? - there folders can be made easily - I have over four dozen mainly related to travels.

Concerning your question of the multiple photo apps conflicting w/ each other, that might relate to the 'default' you have set to open the images and/or to how the 'preferences' are setup in the programs - to check the former, simply right-click on an image and select 'Get info' - the dialog box shown below should appear - look at the 'Open with:' choice (e.g. my JPEG images are defaulted to open in Preview - connected blue arrow) - use the drop down box to view your choices or select others - if you want to make a program the 'universal' default, then select 'Change All...' (red arrow) - let us know if any of these suggestions are useful. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-08-30 at 11.16.10 AM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.