Need Internet Security package for mac

Reaction score
Hi;
My sister has an iMac running OSX Yosemite. She wasn't using any security program until a few weeks ago when she got one of those fake virus warnings in Safari. I installed Sophos, one of the freebies that scored high. But today she got another of the Safari warnings, so it is time to get a stronger security program.
Being a PC and Linux user myself, I have always relied on Symantec Norton products for my PC - I don't use anything on the Linux box. But Norton scores pretty low in the independent labs testing "Top Ten Reviews"
The one that scores the highest is Intego Mac Bundle X8. It is pretty pricy, but if it will catch these fake threats and everything else, it is well worth the cost.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

CP

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Run something like AdwareMedic first, see if that gets rid of it. After that, use some extensions in your browser of choice, particularly an ad blocker, a tracker blocker (like Ghostery or PrivacyBadger) and a plugin blocker (or just use the browser's built in plugin blocker if it has one). If you can, use a strong popup blocker as well.

OP
U
Reaction score
vansmith wrote:

Run something like AdwareMedic first, see if that gets rid of it. After that, use some extensions in your browser of choice, particularly an ad blocker, a tracker blocker (like Ghostery or PrivacyBadger) and a plugin blocker (or just use the browser's built in plugin blocker if it has one). If you can, use a strong popup blocker as well.

Thanks for the advice; I'll run those scans first.
Would switching from Safari to Firefox help? In Windows it does - since the majority of users use IE. On the Mac I would assume that Safari is the most popular browser.
I disabled Java the last time she had the malware popup, but she found that some websites won't work without it, so she re-activated. I need to check the version of Java she is running - as it always seems that Java is being exploited, and an update is necessary to fix the vulnerability.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
It really doesn't matter on what browser she uses. Safari is fine. The issue is a malicious webpage that can be eliminated by clearing the browser history and data then doing what vansmith suggested. AdwareMedic, which is now Malwarebytes for Mac will clear out any left behind nasties. Also adding extensions to the browser will prevent them from coming back. Adblock Plus, Ghostery, and Privacy Badger are three I like and use.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And remove Sophos which is a resource hog. AV Software will not prevent ransomware and consider this. When you update virus definitions all you are downloading are Windows definitions as there are no Mac OS X viruses. As others suggest certainly Malwarebytes for Mac, AdBlockPlus, Ghostery and maybe ScamZapper which is aimed directly at ransomware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, good catch! I missed that! YES, uninstall Sophos.

Lisa

OP
U
Reaction score
Hey guys;
Thanks for the good advice. So, the fact that virus defs are windows is something they don't want mac users to know...
When she bought the mac in 2011, Apple was still claiming Macs to be immune.
I wonder how long it will be before I have to worry about Linux.

C

chas_m

For the record: Apple has *never* claimed that Macs are immune to viruses or malware, but they are (and still are -- there aren't any). This is a common myth because Apple once posted that there aren't any Mac viruses (which was, and still is, true) as part of an article suggesting security techniques to keep your Mac protected. All computers that access the Internet are susceptible to *possible* malware (which ≠ viruses!), and the Mac is and never has been an exception to that (nor Linux). The Mac has a built-in anti-malware system called XProtect, but malware and pop-up scamware are not the same thing either -- if a user installs something bad by using their admin password, XProtect can't do anything about that.

There's some very simple rules to protect your Mac from malware: don't use or visit pirate sites/dodgy sites, don't download software from anyplace but the developers own site (or the Mac App Store, or MacUpdate.com), don't click on links in emails (copy the link and examine it to be sure it is legit, then paste it into a browser), and don't put in your admin password unless you are 100 percent sure that what you are installing is legit and requested by you.

Reaction score
As others suggest certainly Malwarebytes for Mac, AdBlockPlus, Ghostery and maybe ScamZapper which is aimed directly at ransomware.

I'm pretty new to macs too, and after some research I installed Avast Free Mac Security 2015 ..... info can be found on the link below. But I've found some sites that say that it's only virus protection .... I believe it's virus and anti-phishing and malware detection too. Is this right? (eg. here's a website that gives the impression that it's only antivirus Avast Mac Security 2015 (Mac) - Download )

Here a good link that describes it

The Best Mac Security Software - Techlicious

Am I right in assuming that Avast (above) is a decent free version of what others charge you $70 for? (eg. Trend Micro) or should i go looking for something better?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
digital - I have been where you are. I tried every free anti-virus product for mac out. I ran all of them for several months each. I was a 30+ year user of Windows so I was not ready to believe the excellent advice I was getting on this forum. And I gather you are not either. I will reiterate again - you do not need any anti-virus for mac - but obviously, you will need to discover that for yourself.

Here is what I finally figured out from my journey using anti-virus programs for mac. The only time I received any alerts, it was for attachments on emails that I would have never opened anyway. When I researched the "potential" virus the anti-virus reported they ALWAYS came up as a Windows virus. You can read all kinds of articles on the web about viruses for macs. What they don't tell you is how between using the previously recommended browser plug ins, safe surfing practices, not opening email attachments or following email links, periodically running malwarebytes for mac, and the already built in XProtect in OS X you will be fine.

Obviously, you can do what ever you want but I bet a year from now you will realize we just might be right. ;)

Lisa

M

MacInWin

Nicely said, Lisa! I've been antivirus free for 8 years now. And by practicing basic safe browsing techniques and using Ghostery, I've never been ransom-wares, or popup-ed to death either! (Now having said, that, I'll get nailed today, but hey, it was fun to say!)

Reaction score
I should know how to do this, but what are the steps in uninstalling Sophos? Thanks!

Reaction score
P.S.
Lisa, do you recommend installing Ghostery to prevent Malware and Adware??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I am sure Lisa will agree with me Bheki ~ Ghostery, AdBlockPlus and Malwarebytes for Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, what Harry said. I use all three of the ones he recommended plus a new one recommended (I can't remember by whom -sorry!) called Privacy Badger which seems to be working well with Ghostery (and I block everything it offers) and Adblocker Plus. All are browser extensions.

I run Malwarebytes periodically for a checkup to make sure all is good.

Lisa

Reaction score
Ghostery

Since I have 3 browsers, Safari, Chrome and Mozilla FF, I assume I need to install the Ghostery for each of them. I use Safari the most, but sometimes I can't get certain audio files so I have to resort to another browser.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.