Loving Apple

M

MuffinMan

Yay just got my mac for Christmas. The Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 and 23" Cinema HD Display.
I love this computer, I even found myself putting my head on it and petting it, and the display as well.

I'm a gamer, (Yes I know that's not why you switch to a Mac)

Since macs come with a one button click mouse, is there a way on the keyboard that serves as a right click? I play Diablo II: LOD and if you play you'll know as well that it's very frustrating to play without right clicking.

Also, can you buy a 2 button mouse that works for a mac? And a new keyboard so that you don't sacrafice 2 USB ports like the apple keyboard has?

Happy Holidays!
MuffinMan

OP
K

Kreza

MuffinMan said:
Yay just got my mac for Christmas. The Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 and 23" Cinema HD Display.
I love this computer, I even found myself putting my head on it and petting it, and the display as well.

I'm a gamer, (Yes I know that's not why you switch to a Mac)

Since macs come with a one button click mouse, is there a way on the keyboard that serves as a right click? I play Diablo II: LOD and if you play you'll know as well that it's very frustrating to play without right clicking.

Also, can you buy a 2 button mouse that works for a mac? And a new keyboard so that you don't sacrafice 2 USB ports like the apple keyboard has?

Happy Holidays!
MuffinMan

whats your LOD Name, I'll give a game some time!!

OP
F

Fomer

Yes there are two button mouses.

As for a simulant to the right click - click Apple and Clover leaf thingy for cntrl click aka right click

OP
P

PRinMD

I ppicked up a Logitech mouse cause I have to have my scroll wheel and works beatifully :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I have a kensington optical elite which actually has two buttons, two side buttons, and a clickable scroll wheel. And all the buttons are programmable. If you only have one mouse, just use the "alt" or "option" key they are the same key, but sometimes labeled different. Using the Apple/clover leaf key when clicking does not do anything...

OP
R

Rusyn

Murlyn,

I have the Logitech 4 button with clickable wheel (the wireless optical one with the rechargable dock). It is great and all, but the buttons aren't really all that programmable. How is the Kensington for programmability?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's great in my opinion. It comes with MouseWorks.

Which allows you to program commands like: Click, doubl_click, drag, right click, or more clicks, which basically allows you to program clicks when holding down modifier keys. Launch URL, Launch File, Keystrokes, Paste Text, Scroll Up, Scroll Down, Scroll with Mouse, Swap Scrolling Direction, Application Menu, Pop up menu,

Not only can you do the above things globally, but you can also program the mouse to be program specific, so using the right mouse button, globally be a right click, but in Safari use it to scroll, or use it to launch a URL.

You can use button combinations.. so when I click on both front buttons it opens up BBEdit, or when I click both side buttons, it opens Firebird, etc etc

You can have global scrolling speeds, and then application scrolling speeds. And then you can have the wheel button change scrolling directions.

Click Speed, Fine Tuning of acceleration..

Basically.. it rocks :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh and then when used with iKey.. you can do anything and everything :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMac, Retina 5K, 3.6 GHz, 64 GB Memory, 2 TB storage
Murlyn said:
I have a kensington optical elite which actually has two buttons, two side buttons, and a clickable scroll wheel. And all the buttons are programmable. If you only have one mouse, just use the "alt" or "option" key they are the same key, but sometimes labeled different. Using the Apple/clover leaf key when clicking does not do anything...

I also use Kensington, although it's wired to the Powerbook. I just switched from PC and missed the versaility of the mouse. So, now I'm happy:)

OP
H

HopperJonusFang

apple are ok but need to stop:

- selling machines with 128mb.. its just silly!

- lower prices, come on, just a tad? ;)

- stop selling laptops with cd-rom drives (i think they might have now but it was still too late)

rant over! :p

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
What? 128 MB of RAM is just fine. If you need more RAM, get more RAM. Grandma only needs 128 MB.
The prices are just fine IMO.
What the ****? A laptop without a CD Drive? Do you live under a rock? Did a car crash into it and it rolled onto your head and damaged your brain? Geeze...
My PowerBook has a DVD drive in it, and it can burn CDs. THere is a model that will burn DVDs, too, but i have no use for that feature.
Damnit dude...
EVERY computer NEEDS a CD/DVD drive... period.

OP
H

HopperJonusFang

lol my eMac has 128Mb and it struggles

and secondly, stop trying to sound clever.
I said CD-ROM meaning READ ONLY drives, meaning every computer should have rewritable drives.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Psh. I'll do what I want kthx
It depends what you do. Photoshop, yeh, defenetly need some RAM. Surfing the net... why bother?
And there are NO machines on Apple's store with ONLY a rewritable drive.

OP
A

Aristarchus

I use the Kensington Optical Mouse 7.0 (the one that is actually a trackball). A bit expensive, but a fantastic device, and the Mouseworks program makes programming the buttons really easy. I'm a fan, if you couldn't tell.

OP
S

StarManta

As for the Command-click thing, Many Blizzard games use Command-click as right click.... Starcraft and WC3 do, at least.

OP
K

kakosc

any machine sold with less than 512 of ram is silly. My iMac came with 256 and I havent gotten around to upgrading it, and its driving me insane.
I dont use my computer for anything heavy duty most of the time. Occasionally I use photoshop or soundstudio for recording long programs off the radio, but most of the time im just chatting and surfing the net. My konfabulator ram monitor is usually around 3.16, meaning that I only have 3.16 megs of ram free, when ive got itunes, safari and msn messenger open. Its just stupid!
Yeah, price wise a nothing consumer iMac like the one ive got shouldnt cost 3,400 australian dollars, and that was with educational discount. They arent that powerful and especially since they only come with 256 meg of ram, its just a rip off.
I'd like to see an apple pro mouse that can tell if you are pressing on the right or left side of the mouse, and even can scroll down pages when you slide your finger down the middle. It would be possible, and you wouldnt have to give up the looks! And Job's little speil about one button mouses being easier and that he's never going to sell a mac with a two button mouse, well this mouse could be programmed to act as a one button mouse, just as it is now, but when you select something in system preferences sensors in it make it into a two button scroll mouse.

OP
K

kakosc

I really need to do an electronics course. I love thinking about making new gadgets and cool electronics and stuff.

OP
H

HopperJonusFang

kakosc said:
any machine sold with less than 512 of ram is silly. My iMac came with 256 and I havent gotten around to upgrading it, and its driving me insane.
I dont use my computer for anything heavy duty most of the time. Occasionally I use photoshop or soundstudio for recording long programs off the radio, but most of the time im just chatting and surfing the net. My konfabulator ram monitor is usually around 3.16, meaning that I only have 3.16 megs of ram free, when ive got itunes, safari and msn messenger open. Its just stupid!.

yes i agree to back up my point earlier heavy duty computing or not 128 megs is not enough, when you have a browser open, IRC, MSN and a tune playing in iTunes things can get frustratingly slow which is why I have bought more

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.