iCloud Payment scam or not?

Reaction score
Hi, this morning I received an email purporting to come from Apple iCloud confirming payment of $29.99 for a storage plan which I have not ordered or authorised and saying that it will be paid monthly as of today's date.

The email is addressed to me by name and is from Apple [email protected]

It has an order number and is for a 1Tb storage plane billed monthly. It has a credit card no. in this format
Credit Card ---- ---- ---- xxxx

it says i may cancel (the word cancel is a link) or downgrade (the word downgrade is a link) Going to either of these leads me to iTunes where i am required to input all my details including CC No. iTunes has my details already.

I'm very suspicious. The font and style and icons all look genuine BUT....
What do you think?
G

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Looks like a scam to me.

Here is a link to the Apple iCloud storage plans and costs - $19.99 in the US and Canada, not $29.99.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201238

The link is probably to a spoof site whose purpose is to get you to provide your credit card details. However it might be worth your while to check with your credit card company to make sure there haven't been any suspicious transactions.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
scam - apple does not use any address that is not theirs - icu.de is definitely not an apple address.

Any email you get purporting to be from Apple and it does not come from an apple.com, itunes.com, icloud.com, etc. address is a phony.

OP
G
Reaction score
Looks like a scam to me.

Here is a link to the Apple iCloud storage plans and costs - $19.99 in the US and Canada, not $29.99.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201238

The link is probably to a spoof site whose purpose is to get you to provide your credit card details. However it might be worth your while to check with your credit card company to make sure there haven't been any suspicious transactions.

Thank you Nick. I will check with the CC co. now.
Cheers
G

OP
G
Reaction score
scam - apple does not use any address that is not theirs - icu.de is definitely not an apple address.

Any email you get purporting to be from Apple and it does not come from an apple.com, itunes.com, icloud.com, etc. address is a phony.

Many thanks for quick reply Bob. I'll ignore it but keep my eye on my CC account.
Thanks again
G

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.