Advice on new iMac purchase?

Reaction score
Hey all, currently running a mid 2012 Macbook Pro for the past 3 years and looking to upgrade.

I use 3D Graphics software quite a lot recently and my Macbook simply isnt fast enough, (16GB Ram - not sure how to check Graphics Card though).

Due to me still being a student for the remaining 2 months, now would be the perfect time to buy so I can still make use of my Apple Education Discount.

I'm looking at an iMac this time - hopefully getting more bang for my buck. And I'll keep my macbook pro for taking it to places.

I'm looking at the 5k Retina iMac with:

-4.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz
-8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB (will upgrade to 32GB on my own, due to it being very easy to do yourself)
-1TB Fusion Drive
-AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB GDDR5

Opinions on this setup ? Is the 5k display worth the extra price? I know the model is very thin too, is this a negative in terms of build quality?

Any help would be great. It's been 3 years since i've been researching Mac purchases so I'm a little rusty at this.

Thank you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The machine you chose is a power house and definitely suitable for the work you wish to do with it. And yes, the 5K Retina display is worth every bit of the extra $$$ you'll pay. Don't forget to add the extra Apple Care. ;D

OP
C
Reaction score
The machine you chose is a power house and definitely suitable for the work you wish to do with it. And yes, the 5K Retina display is worth every bit of the extra $$$ you'll pay. Don't forget to add the extra Apple Care. ;D

hey thanks so much! I've ordered it now. Silly question, but i'm just ordering my 4 x 8gb ram chips for it now. Will the 5k iMac model i just bought be the mid 2015 version or the late 2014 version ? on my order form it doesnt say so before i spend £120 on the extra ram, i'd rather ask and look silly, than waste my money haha.

Reaction score
I haven't paid much attention to benchmarks on the Fusion drives. Just be aware that while the RAM is easy to replace, the drive definitely is not.

At one time I considered a similar iMac but I was going to get the 512GB flash storage, and use an external drive for mass data (if needed).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.