Airport Extreme and External Hard Drives

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6 Plus
I have a 4th gen Airport Extreme Base Station that I want to set up a 2tb External Hard Drive on. I had it connected and everything was working just fine when trying to access it from my Mac Mini. When trying to access the Hard Drive from other computers on the network it wouldn't connect. I figured out how to make the other computers connect to the hard drive by setting the Disk settings to Users and creating a user account for anybody that wants to connect to the drive. However, the content that I put on the hard drive prior to setting up the user settings is no longer accessible and I am not able to connect using any of the user accounts to the hard drive. I have also disconnected the hard drive from the Base Station and reconnected it to my Mac Mini and the hard drive is not mounting. Any advice on how to mount the hard drive?

Thank you all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Does the drive show up anywhere in and when using Disk Utility(in your Utilities folder)??

Maybe the drive died or the cable or connection is kaput!!???

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6 Plus
It doesn't show up in the disk utility at all.

I have a 5 tb seagate external attached to the Mini, I switched the cables on the two drives and both of them are showing up now.. Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
That sounds a bit strange or maybe a cable wasn't plugged in properly and making a proper connection.

Anyway, glad to hear things seem to be working properly. But may be worth running Disk Utility and Verify Disk just to be sure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.