How to block google image site?

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Is it possible without blocking google as a whole site? I'm thinking to do that in terminal

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can block any site you choose by annotating it in your "Hosts" file. See the following LINK for instructions. Make sure you backup your Hosts file first!

OP
M
Reaction score
You can block any site you choose by annotating it in your "Hosts" file. See the following LINK for instructions. Make sure you backup your Hosts file first!

hey man,

i already did something similar with other websites, point is i want to block google image section, not google, so im afraid if i add google.com that whole thing is going to be blocked

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, you're probably right in that it will block the entire site. I'm not sure how you can only block the Google Image section without blocking other images that you might want to look at.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Google's image search is hosted at images.google.ca (or whatever TLD you need). If you want to disable image search from Google search results, you can use some custom CSS to remove the image link. For example, here's how you'd do it for Firefox using the Stylish extension:
Code:
@-moz-document url-prefix(http://www.google.ca) {
    .hdtb-mitem.hdtb-msel.hdtb-imb {
        display: none !important;
    }
}
What browser are you using?

OP
M
Reaction score
Google's image search is hosted at images.google.ca (or whatever TLD you need). If you want to disable image search from Google search results, you can use some custom CSS to remove the image link. For example, here's how you'd do it for Firefox using the Stylish extension:
Code:
@-moz-document url-prefix(http://www.google.ca) {
    }
}
What browser are you using?

Hey VanSmith, im using safari

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You could try this extension. Install that and for the custom CSS, input the following:
Code:
    }
Make sure to limit that to Google domains in the domain section. Note that this may break things on some Google sites so try this and test a few Google pages.

OP
M
Reaction score
hey VanSmith, you mean to add that code in styles, but google in URL's?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That would be it. What you're effectively doing is saying "apply this style" (which hides the image tab on Google properties) only on Google domains. You may want to make the URL a wildcard as well:
Code:
http://www.google.ca/*

OP
M
Reaction score
i know man, problem is, if i type image.google.com, it's not same because i can access it through "image" tab next to "web"

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just block access to the image.google.ca domain as well. You can do that using the hosts file tip above.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.