Automatic Log-In Issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro8,2
ok i can't seam to setup automatic log in. i know how to set it up in the users & group settings, but i can't get the automatic login drop down menu to un gray so i can select my name. i looked up on youtube but I'm still not able to turn it on.

Thanks in Advance, Alice

M

MacInWin

Alice, you didn't say what version of OS X, but in Yosemite, you need to click on the lock in the lower left corner of the pane an enter an Admin password to open the options.

OP
AliceSML79
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro8,2
my bad, it is 10.10 Yosemite. i unlock the options but the drop down menu won open so thats why I'm confused. i even did a disk utilities repair disk permissions.

M

MacInWin

Well, I just tried it on my 10.10.5 system. System Preferences/Users & Groups, then click on Login Options at the bottom of the list of users, then the lock on the bottom left corner of the window, then when I click in the box where Automatic Login is shown as "Off" I get a list of users for whom I can select auto login. Is that the sequence you are using?

OP
AliceSML79
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro8,2
something is wrong with my install because there is no recovery option in power up holding option as well. i downloaded the OS X and going to try a fresh install. my last hope

OP
AliceSML79
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro8,2
reinstall of 10.10.5 yosemite fixed my issues. my gues was a bad update. i made a usb installer becase my recovery drive had vanished. still missing so not sure why that is. but I'm up and running with auto login working.

OP
AliceSML79
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro8,2
os x 10.10.5 confuses me so much. my auto log in stopped working again. but i guess its safer that way too, just a little annoying to deforced to log in every time.

M

MacInWin

System Preferences/Users & Groups/Login Options (enter password) and then turn Automatic Login "ON" by selecting the account you want automatically logged in.

C

chas_m

It's possible that the use has turned on FileVault, in which case automatic login is disallowed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.