Application showing up under Devices in Finder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac, High Sierra, 32 GB Memory
I have an Application, Jigsaws Galore, that shows up in Finder as a Device and it shows I can Eject it. Jigsaws Galore is in the Applications Folder. This is the only Application I have that after I start it, it shows up as a Device. Even after I close it out, it still appears as a Device.

I guess it doesn't hurt anything by doing this, but I'm stumped as to why it would do this. BTW, I am all up to date with 10.10.4. on my Mid 2011 iMac, 16g memory.

Any ideas as to why this is happening and if I should be concerned?

M

MacInWin

I suspect that what you see is the installer .dmg file. It mounts as a drive when you invoke it. Did you INSTALL Jigsaws Galore properly? Usually that involves dragging the contents of the .dmg file from the opened image to the Applications folder, then closing and deleting the .dmg after you know the application is running properly from the Applications folder.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac, High Sierra, 32 GB Memory
Yes, I installed it correctly, but your post got me thinking about the .dmg file. I had added the Jigsaws Galore Icon to the Dock and this is what I usually use to start the program. It appears that I dragged the .dmg file to the Dock instead of the Application Icon.

I deleted the Icon in the Dock and dragged the correct Icon from Launchpad to the Dock and now when I start the program it doesn't show up as a Device. PROBLEM SOLVED. Thanks so much, Jake. You nailed it.

BTW,,,, is it safe to delete ALL .dmg files? Did a Spotlight search and found around 40 .dmg files.

M

MacInWin

If you have installed the software it's generally ok to delete the .dmgs. I do make a backup of them so that if I need to reinstall I don't have to do the download, but if you have a quick internet connection that may not matter, either. It's up to you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.