Apple ID

Reaction score
Hi,
I am hoping someone can help with the following- My wife wants to see up an Apple ID account in order to get started on her new iPhone.We have an iPad Air which was registered to me and I have cleaned it so that her new account can go on that as well.However we can neither set up a new ID because it tells us that her email address is already registered as an Apple Account, nor sign in under her email account because of course she has no correct password?? I may be wrong but is it possible that Google would let two identical email accounts be in existence and the other person happens to have an Apple account?? Wouldn't have thought so.We have tried doing it on the Mac desktop but the same message.Is there something I am missing here?Thanks in advance and my apologies if this is in the wrong section

M

MacInWin

Well, you could create a new AppleID for your wife using an email other than the gmail one. Apple only uses that email to send you notifications of events in the AppleID account, I think, so you can use the email Apple has for you or any other email address you may be using. I doubt that gmail has duplicated your email address as you would be getting strange emails and conflicts. What I also suspect is that at some time in the past you created an AppleID for your wife and simply don't know the password any more. You caTRY to call Apple to see if they can send a link to the email associated with that account to reset the password, assuming that the email with that account is still valid. You can look at the login site to see if there is a "Forgot Password" function as that may also send a link to the associated email for reset of the password. If that fails you can TRY to call Apple to see if they can send a link to the email associated with that account to reset the password, assuming that the email with that account is still valid.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thank you MacInWin.I think it is probably better that my wife open a new email account with whoever and use that.I do know that though that there is no chance an Apple account was opened for her previously but from Googling some research,this is apparently not a unique happening,with quite a few people having experienced the same thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thank you MacInWin.I think it is probably better that my wife open a new email account with whoever and use that.I do know that though that there is no chance an Apple account was opened for her previously but from Googling some research,this is apparently not a unique happening,with quite a few people having experienced the same thing.

Hello, if you wife already has an Apple ID, then a look HERE1 and HERE2 may help to re-establish use of that ID - if not, then a new one can be set up. Good luck - Dave :)

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
There is no harm in creating a new Apple ID with a free email provider even if you never use it. It is just a name for the ID. You will get some confirmation info on this address initially and then you will be allocated an @icloud email address. From then on you will only need the original address as a login name for Apple services like iTunes, FaceTime etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thank you everybody for your help.For whatever reasons,Apple did not allow my wife's email address to be used,so as suggested we opened another which is almost identical and problem was solved.Interestingly when I used the 'manage my account' aspect for the one that wouldn't work, and said I had forgotten the password,although they told me they had sent an email,it never arrived.So all is good.However I do have another question if I may.Which is better to use for iMessages on a phone,the phone number or email address?Currently it is using the phone number because it will not allow the use of her original email address or I don't know how to get it to?It would be better if she could use her original email address but maybe using the number for the iMessages is better.All advice will be appreciated.Thank you

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.