screen capture tool

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi guys, is there a tool like Snipping for Mac?

In addition to the link given above, there are some built-in screen capture options in Mac OS X - check How to take a screenshot on your Mac - I use CMD-Shift-4 for selective capturing on a daily basis, then Preview allows cropping & re-sizing along w/ other features.

Also, look in Applications -> Other for the Grab app - similar features w/ the extra 'timed' option which can be useful. Dave :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Quicktime...which you already have, can easily record a screen video with audio. Whatever is playing or happening on your screen can be captured and filed away.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I use CMD-Shift-4 for selective capturing on a daily basis, the Preview allows cropping & re-sizing along w/ other features.
Just to add to Dave's great tip, you can also push Command-Shift-3 to get the whole screen or Command-Shift-4, then spacebar to get any window of your choosing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Just to add to my previous post....App Folder>Quick Time Player>File>New Screen Recording and from there you should be able to follow the prompts that enable you to perform several different types of screen captures...still and moving. Both RadDave and vansmith have excellent, excellent suggestions for simple "snips". Whatever you do...have fun!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.