wordservice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
i have downloaded this free app from apple store. it is in my apps folder and appears in my launch pad.
apparently i am supposed to move or copy it elsewhere to be able to access i.

can anyone help me here?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
How do you know you are supposed to copy it elsewhere? Applications generally go into the Applications folder either globally or in your user folder.

Usually the message about copying it out comes when you try to launch the application from the DMG file..

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks. i just viewed info about word service in my apps folder and it has extension of .app

so how do i access it to use the options within. i have tried copying it to bar at bottom but still nothing happens
i open a pages file and hi light my selection but cannot get to open or use this word service.

it sounds like a pretty good little program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
thanks. i just viewed info about word service in my apps folder and it has extension of .app

so how do i access it to use the options within. i have tried copying it to bar at bottom but still nothing happens
i open a pages file and hi light my selection but cannot get to open or use this word service.

it sounds like a pretty good little program.

It's a GREAT program. It's a little odd that it comes as an app now. You used to have to put the service item in a special folder. But hey... this works, and is a lot easier for the average person to get going.

Anyway, what you do is highlight the text you want to make changes to; go to the menubar up top and click on the app name (Safari, for example), then "Services", then select the action you want to perform on that text. You can also access by right-clicking on the selected text.

You have to use the System Preferences pane to enable/disable the features you want to use or not. Open System Preferences » Keyboard » Shortcuts » Services. Scroll to the section that says "Text' (I suggest collapsing everything else to make it easier) and put a checkmark in any action you want to have available. The keyboard shortcuts are optional.

screenshot_153.jpg

I need to point out that this only works in proper Mac-native apps. Firefox, for example is actually not a native Mac app and can't use OS X's services.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the direction and info.
I got word service to work and it sorts the way i wanted tho it sure is not as easy as MS Word. however, practice may make things easier.
I just may have to break down and buy the pkg if I find too many more things that I do not like with Pages.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just a bit of info for you Lori.... Pages like Word responds to the services menu, however, the service must also be available for what ever other action or application that you wish it to respond to. It's a great way to do things without resorting to creating macros for example. I use it all the time in both Pages and Word 2011. (Office 2008 does not use services.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.