parasites pop up asking to call 888 number

Reaction score
I keep getting these pop-ups telling me i have a virus and to call this 888 number; it seems the pop ups ARE the virus in it self.
how do i safely remove these stocking parasites for good. i can't do anything because of them; i click on one and another one replaces it. no matter what i call they keep harassing me.

Screen Shot 2015-08-04 at 10.34.00 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-08-04 at 10.34.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-08-04 at 10.44.52 AM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Headoff and download AdwareMedic which has just recently become Malwarebytes and run it. It should clean things up for you:
AdwareMedic

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
To the OP, that is NOT Spam. That is a Legitimate application that will probably solve your issue. The user is just trying to help you!

OP
R
Reaction score
I disabled the bug that was trying to 'help' me $ ) my safari runs fine again. no more persistently helpful pop-ups wanting my credit card number. Thanks and no thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To the OP, that is NOT Spam. That is a Legitimate application that will probably solve your issue. The user is just trying to help you!

Hmmm….??? A bit strange for those to be coming from a "Legitimate application" Dennis as google doesn't have any idea about any 1-888-375-5766 number, support or otherwise.

Maybe you have different info, but I sure wouldn't have anything to to with them and looks like a SCAM to me.

Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Read it again. Dennis was referring to AdwareMedic (Malwarebytes) being genuine not the scam.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Read it again. Dennis was referring to AdwareMedic (Malwarebytes) being genuine not the scam.

OK, it wasn't clear to me what the reference was referring to. :|

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Hmmm….??? A bit strange for those to be coming from a "Legitimate application" Dennis as google doesn't have any idea about any 1-888-375-5766 number, support or otherwise.

Maybe you have different info, but I sure wouldn't have anything to to with them and looks like a SCAM to me.

Patrick
======

Pat, HE reported your post to us saying your adawaremedic post was spam and should be deleted! I pointed out it was a Legitimate application and told him to stop reporting the posts! :D Grin

hahahhaha! I was sticking up for you! :D Grin Remember I am one of the "Good Guys"! sounds like Best Buys techs! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pat, HE reported your post to us saying your adawaremedic post was spam and should be deleted! I pointed out it was a Legitimate application and told him to stop reporting the posts! :D Grin

hahahhaha! I was sticking up for you! :D Grin Remember I am one of the "Good Guys"! sounds like Best Buys techs! :D

How bizarre but thanks for the explanation as it sure wasn't making any sense to me.

Maybe I should just quit posting and save all the mods all the trouble with my posts being reported. :p ;P

PS: I wonder if the suggested AdwareMedic (Malwarebytes) software was used to fix the OP's problem??? ;)

Patrick
======

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, keep on posting. That was a quality post and probably did solve the OP's issue. Not a problem at all!

When we read the reported post we were all scratching our heads as it's the same advice we would have given him.

How bizarre but thanks for the explanation as it sure wasn't making any sense to me.

Maybe I should just quit posting and save all the mods all the trouble with my posts being reported. :p ;P

PS: I wonder if the suggested AdwareMedic (Malwarebytes) software was used to fix the OP's problem??? ;)

Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

Patrick
======

You just need to rethink how you post that advice. Instead of:

"Headoff and download AdwareMedic which has just recently become Malwarebytes and run it. It should clean things up for you:
AdwareMedic"

It should read:
"Head out and download that adware removal tool that some guy offered up but is now under a different name since taking a job with some company that makes antivirus software that some people like. It should do the job"

See how nice, generic, and non-spammy that reads now? :D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How about telling him to format his drive and put in SECURE and NON Reporting to Microsoft Windows 10 instead? :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You just need to rethink how you post that advice. Instead of:

"Headoff and download AdwareMedic which has just recently become Malwarebytes and run it. It should clean things up for you:
AdwareMedic"

It should read:
"Head out and download that adware removal tool that some guy offered up but is now under a different name since taking a job with some company that makes antivirus software that some people like. It should do the job"

See how nice, generic, and non-spammy that reads now? :D

So, now if I could post that with one of those really neat southern US accents they would probably be read properly and no-one would dare question it??? :eek: :Oops:

Oh God, I just realized I'm now probably gonna git reported for slandering them thare southerners an' their accents. An I'm sure not gonna mention anything about a gun… :Mischievous:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
R
Reaction score
looks like friendly fire. i thought...he thought... type of situation.
hopefully no one got hurt in this communication failure. My apology for my part.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW: who was the stupid journalist or military or political idiot that came up with the "friendly fire" comment in the fist place????

What is "friendly" about a bullet or missile coming straight at you???

Last edited by a moderator:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.