Unable to save files to lower level folders

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nube-MacPro Retina 13" i5-2.6GHz OS 10.10.3,
Finder displays all my folders and directories in various folders. When I'm online and have a file I want to download I am unable to save it to any folder below the top level. If for example I want to save something in... "Documents/Manuals/Apple" or even just "Downloads/Internet" - I cannot get to the lower levels. I have to download to the top level then use Finder to move it to the lower level folder. I know there is a simple setup problem but am unable to locate where it is...?

Reaction score
Finder displays all my folders and directories in various folders. When I'm online and have a file I want to download I am unable to save it to any folder below the top level. If for example I want to save something in... "Documents/Manuals/Apple" or even just "Downloads/Internet" - I cannot get to the lower levels. I have to download to the top level then use Finder to move it to the lower level folder. I know there is a simple setup problem but am unable to locate where it is...?

I'm guessing you've run into the same thing I had difficulty finding. When the save window opens there is a little triangle next to the name of the document. Clicking that triangle expands the window opening access to the finder window. I hope I understood what you were asking for....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I'm guessing you've run into the same thing I had difficulty finding. When the save window opens there is a little triangle next to the name of the document. Clicking that triangle expands the window opening access to the finder window. I hope I understood what you were asking for....

Yeah, I think you nailed it. The "technical' term for that is the disclosure triangle. It's well hidden. It belongs next to the destination, not the file name.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Finder displays all my folders and directories in various folders. When I'm online and have a file I want to download I am unable to save it to any folder below the top level............

Hello - as already suggested, you should be able to not only change the title of the document but the location where it will be saved - e.g. I went to the Canon website and brought up the PDF file for 'My Image Garden' (their free imaging software for the printer) - in the top image below, the title is highlighted and can be edited, if desired - by clicking the 'down caret symbol' (blue arrow), Finder is opened and migration (in two ways) can be done easily to other folders. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-07-30 at 1.21.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-07-30 at 1.21.21 PM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If for example I want to save something in... "Documents/Manuals/Apple" or even just "Downloads/Internet" - I cannot get to the lower levels. I have to download to the top level then use Finder to move it to the lower level folder. I know there is a simple setup problem but am unable to locate where it is...?

In addition to the replies above... all you need to do is double click on the lower level folder and a new Finder window opens in that folder. You can now drag or save to that folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.