Firewire interface or USB 3.0?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i7 512gb
Hello everyone, i've been out of the loop for a while. I recently upgraded my 2010 17" MBP to a brand new (2015) 15" MBP i7 512gb

I love this new Mac, handles my go pro videos so much better.

But I want to get back into Recording music and I have a Presonus Firewire FireStudio Mobile (the small one) which my old Mac couldnt handle too well. I experienced a lot of latency.

As you all know, the new MBP doesnt have a Firewire input anymore. I can buy a OWC Thunderbolt 2 which is about $250 US. I am wondering if I should spend the Money on the Dock or just buy a USB 3.0 Audio Interface? I doubt a new similar audio interface will be much more expensive than the Dock.

So, Which is better? Firewire (plugged into a dock) or USB 3.0 straight into my Mac?

Oh and I am going to be using Studio One Professional 2

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i7 512gb
So I was a bit uninformed. Appparently there arent many USB 3.0 Audio Interfaces.

Still, your suggestions would be greatly appreciated

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i7 512gb
^ Im looking it over,

The specs on my Firestudio Mobile is Firewire 400

Also, it looks like theyre talking about Video editing. Is all this the same for Audio?

C

chas_m

I would think a Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter should suit your needs, but this isn't my area of expertise. You might want to ask the makers about it.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i7 512gb
Yea, I just ordered the thunderbolt to firewire adapter. Some of the reviews using the adapter is that they have trouble powering the device from that particular port.

I'm going to have to find a power cord for that Interface.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.