Affinity Photo - any user feedback?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi all,

Whilst I have no problem with the prospect of moving from iPhoto to Photos, this is not the case with Aperture.

I'm happy to live with Aperture till it is no longer supported, but come the time, I'll need something better than Photos and more akin to Aperture.

Lightroom does not appeal to me.

Has anyone started using Affinity Photo, and can they offer any feedback on its utility versus Aperture?

I am, as always, extremely grateful for any replies.

Ian

C

chas_m

I'm in kind of the same boat, though I was not a big Aperture user (didn't get to play with it for long before they announced the discontinuation). I was hoping to play around with the Affinity Photo beta but waited to long and now the product is out on the Mac App Store for $40.

I have Lightroom and it isn't bad or anything, it does what it should and well but ... it's just ... that interface could use ... something. :)

I'll be seeking some reviews before making a decision to spend any more money on this, since I am already paying for a perfectly adequate solution.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Looks like they raised the price chas. It's now $49.99 in the MAS.

Reaction score
I don't have Affinity Photo but my colleague owned one. He said it was ok.

I recently download Super Eraser from App Store. I should say it is awesome to remove unwanted elements from photo.

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thank you all very much for the feedback. I have endlessly viewed the Affinity tutorials which are almost magical and, as far as I'm concerned, the cost is entirely acceptable. It might just be more than my ageing mind can cope with though!

My plan at the moment, is to try it and accept the financial hit if it's more than I can handle. I shall post back on my experience in due course for the sake of other interested parties.

Ian

Reaction score
I moved from Aperture to Photos and have been very impressed with the depth of editing features in Photos. Don't miss Aperture at all. Affinity Designer has been so useful and easy to use that I also picked up Affinity Photo for those infrequent times I want to do a more with a photo. Easy to export an image from Photos to the desktop, then drag it into AP for editing. AP is very intuitive and, for my occasional use, very powerful. East to export images in a variety of formats. No bmo though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I moved from Aperture to Photos and have been very impressed with the depth of editing features in Photos. Don't miss Aperture at all. Affinity Designer has been so useful and easy to use that I also picked up Affinity Photo for those infrequent times I want to do a more with a photo. Easy to export an image from Photos to the desktop, then drag it into AP for editing. AP is very intuitive and, for my occasional use, very powerful. East to export images in a variety of formats. No bmo though.

Can you not use AP as an external editor directly within Photos, in the same way that you can use Photoshop directly from iPhoto?

C

chas_m

Photos does not presently allow "round trip" editing the way iPhoto did/does, which is why I still use iPhoto more than Photos at present (this is literally the one thing holding me back from completely switching over).

I've given feedback on this to Apple and invite others to do the same. I have a feeling we'll see a big update for Photos in the not-too-distant future, and perhaps that feature will be added back.

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've given feedback on this to Apple and invite others to do the same. .

Chas,

Just remind me how one communicates feedback to Apple, would you? Is there a designated site or method? Many thanks.

Ian

C

chas_m

Most if not all Apple software includes a "send feedback" selection in the help menu or the Apple menu generally.

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. Duly done!

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.