Funky Caps lock button.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 6s+, MbP 2015, iWatch 2.
Hello all! I seem to have the least sensitive caps lock button ever!
Does anyone else experience this? During quick typing stints, I'll go to hit the caps button, once quickly, then the letter I intend to capitalize, then caps again. I do this quickly. It's been a habit of mine to hit caps instead of shift, so don't grill me. But it seems like when I hit caps a second time, it will capitalize all the letters after the one I intended to capitalize.

I've done a test, it seems like I have to hit my caps button 3-4 times before it lights up(sometimes more). And I have to push it down firmly in order for it to work. I feel like I'm bottoming out when I hit it. Possible defect I should talk to them about?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's possible the contact pad on the Caps Lock key is worn from use. You might be able to replace it yourself. The folks at ifixit have pretty good instructions on how to remove and replace keys. You didn't mention which Mac you have but I'm assuming it's a portable Mac which means you may wind up having to replace the entire keyboard if replacing the Caps Lock key doesn't pan out.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's possible the contact pad on the Caps Lock key is worn from use. You might be able to replace it yourself. The folks at ifixit have pretty good instructions on how to remove and replace keys. You didn't mention which Mac you have but I'm assuming it's a portable Mac which means you may wind up having to replace the entire keyboard if replacing the Caps Lock key doesn't pan out.

Ermm, it's a week old macbook pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Why didn't you tell us. Unhappy take it back today!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Ermm, it's a week old macbook pro.

You know very well that it's still under warranty. Don't mess with it and take it back to where you purchased it from. And when you post, tell us the "whole story". ;D

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You know very well that it's still under warranty. Don't mess with it and take it back to where you purchased it from. And when you post, tell us the "whole story". ;D

Will do. It doesn't bother me THAT much, but it's annoying and something I don't want interfering with my macbook. Other than that, I love this machine, and I love the full integration with my iPhone and vice versa. Best purchase ever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Try and get yourself into the habit of hitting the shift button. It's only one buton down from the caps lock.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.