• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Split Screen on El Capitan

Reaction score
Hi,

I did not download the 'El Capitan Beta' version but I wanted to know if:

1. They are keyboard shortcuts to use split screen?
2. If so, are they customizable?

For example, if I want to quickly move an app or folder to the left hand side of the screen, without using the mouse/track-pad, I can simply press command + Left Arrow key. Currently, I use Better Snap Tool. It even allows me to customize my own keyboard shortcuts using any key I want.

PS. In the past I have put a thread up on 'why doesn't OS X have split screen?'. Somebody said that it could be copyright. I guess somehow Apple has now bridged that problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I'd suggest contacting support at Better Snap Tool and asking if they will be making their product work with El C. Maybe you won't need it, but they probably wouldn't tell you that.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hm... so I take it that the answer to question 1 and 2 above is 'yes'. Ok, I will happily take satirical comments for it.

It's good to have one less unnecessary app.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
simonvee, split screen is a feature of El Capitan I really was interested in myself but not for the reasons you use Better Snap Tool for.
I have always been a keyboard command (shortcut) and mouse person in the past but Split Screen in El Capitan has forced me to reconsider my old ways. It is my opinion that Apple is moving quickly in the direction of perfecting "Gestures" on the Track Pad. In fact Split Screen is difficult to use properly/easily without Mission Control and Gestures. So much so that I stopped using my mouse completely and am seriously considering buying a BlueTooth Track Pad.
Of course many of these gestures have been around for a while but I have never been motivated to use them.
Having said all that there are keyboard commands for the function but swiping is much easier for me. See this artical : How to Use Split View Mode in Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan « Mac Tips

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for that article Rod. It mentions a few things about the way split screen behaves with third-party apps that I hadn't checked out yet. I'd noticed the problem but not checked out the reasons yet.

OP
S
Reaction score
simonvee, split screen is a feature of El Capitan I really was interested in myself but not for the reasons you use Better Snap Tool for.
I have always been a keyboard command (shortcut) and mouse person in the past but Split Screen in El Capitan has forced me to reconsider my old ways. It is my opinion that Apple is moving quickly in the direction of perfecting "Gestures" on the Track Pad. In fact Split Screen is difficult to use properly/easily without Mission Control and Gestures. So much so that I stopped using my mouse completely and am seriously considering buying a BlueTooth Track Pad.
Of course many of these gestures have been around for a while but I have never been motivated to use them.
Having said all that there are keyboard commands for the function but swiping is much easier for me. See this artical : How to Use Split View Mode in Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan « Mac Tips

Correct me if I'm wrong but the article didn't appear to mention anything about users being able to customize their own shortcut keys.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I agree it doesnt actually address that subject but I presume that as most other keyboard commands can be customised in keyboard shortcuts these can too.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I know some of you are testing the split screen feature in El Capitan. Could you try an experiment for me. Try putting Activity monitor in split screen mode. It seems to be one app that refuses to go into split screen mode. I tried to enable split screen via the hold click method and it does not seem to work.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll give it a try next time I boot it up and get back but I read somewhere it does not support all windows so that may be one of them.
Cheers,
Rod

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.