Blowing out with air?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5 8 GB
On my old Dell about every 6 months I would take the cover off and blow out all the dust bunnies with a can of air, is this necessary with my iMac? If so do I just blow the air in the vents? Thanks,

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Since getting inside of an iMac is not an easy task, and blowing compressed air through the vents may not be strong enough to dislodge any dust, I recommend only opening up the machine when absolutely necessary. The new iMacs (2012 and newer) are especially difficult to get open. I guess it depends on where you use your iMac and if you have pets near by. I keep my iMac and all my Macs in an air conditioned office where it's fairly dust free. I do have a cat but I keep her far away from my iMac! ;D

C

chas_m

It should generally not be necessary unless you live in a very dusty environment over the useful life of the machine. If so, you may wish to invest in an air-quality ionizer, but remember to keep it WELL away from the computer.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5 8 GB
Thanks, I will leave it alone!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.