• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

IMovie Theater issues

Reaction score
I am having a host of problems with movies disapearing from the IMovie Theater.
- Fed up with multiple back-ups, late last year I uploaded my entire 15-year family video library to IMovie Theater. This was a total of 52 movies, ranging in length from a couple of minutes to 10 or so minutes. There were edited over the years using versions of IMovie and more recently final cut X. They were all uploaded via IMovie, where I created a new project out of each movie in order to sylise the movies, giving each a theme before sharing them one by one to the Theater. It was very time-consuming.
- For five months everything was fine. The 52 movie posters popped up and played on all my Apple devices - 2 iphones, ipad, 2 apple tvs, Macbook Pro and desktop.
- Then in April I upgraded my laptop and desktop.
- That’s when I noticed that when I opened IMovie Theater on my laptop and desktop, only 11 movies were showing and could be played. No sign of the other 41. It was also a very random selection.
- But all 52 where still shown and available on my other devices.
- But since the weekend (July 11-12 2015), I can no longer access the 41 “missing” movies on my other devices either.
- The Apple TVs both display the message: “Cannot connect to imove theater. They may be a problem with icloud or your internet connection. Try again later.” I have checked and there is no problem with icloud or the internet connection.
- The iphones and ipad both still display all 52 movie posters, but when I try and play any of the 41 “missing” movies, the application crashes.
So somehow, somewhere, 41 movies have gone missing in the cloud.
I have tried all the usual troublshooting - signing in and out of iCloud, resetting routers and devices etc. But nothing.
I spoke to Apple at great length - and we are still talking - as yet to no avail. They have suggested uploading again, though I am loath to do that in the absence of an understading about how it happened and a confidence that it won't happen again.
It has really shattered my faith in ICloud.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
Ian Williams

C

chas_m

Given that this is Apple's advice, I suggest you try uploading one – just one — of the missing movies again, and see if that resolves the issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.