How to get over your Macbook? Please HELP!

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm desperately needing for some help!

I bought a white Macbook five years ago, in 2010, and I was truly happy with it. We lived happily together for three years.

But in 2013 my house was stolen and with it, my precious MACBOOK! At the time I didn't have much money, so I was forced to switch back to a PC.

The problem is: I CAN'T GET OVER MY MACBOOK! I'm always thinking about it! I sit down with my PC, sighing "I wish you were a mac"... I visit the apple website frequently on my PC, hoping that the prices go down, but THEY NEVER DO! I can't afford a new macbook! Sometimes I visit a store that sells Apple products and I feel very nostalgic, sometimes my eyes even get a little wet!

I frequently visit sites that sell second hand Macbooks, but still they are too expensive for me! A machine with 2 or 3 years is like more than 800 euros!

I thought that I would get over it with time, but I CAN'T DO IT! I'm always thinking about how perfect my mac was, and at the same time putting faults on my PC notebook! I thought that with time I would get over it, BUT I CAN'T! Two years have passed and TODAY I STILL THINK ABOUT IT! When I'm at my PC I'm always thinking how beautiful my mac was, both outside and inside, how I liked to perform gestures on the trackpad, on how many keyboard shortcuts it had, on how it never crashed on me, on how long the battery lasted...

It's like the sh*t they say about a first love, I CAN'T GET OVER IT!

I wouldn't even mind to have an old Macbook! But it is still darn OVERPRICED! I can spare 400 euros, but I can't pay 400 euros for a computer with 5 or 6 years old!

What should I do? Please help me out!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
But in 2013 my house was stolen and with it, my precious MACBOOK!

Do you have a "mobile house"? It's usually pretty hard to steal a traditional house.:)

The problem is: I CAN'T GET OVER MY MACBOOK! I'm always thinking about it! I sit down with my PC, sighing "I wish you were a mac"... I visit the apple website frequently on my PC, hoping that the prices go down, but THEY NEVER DO! I can't afford a new macbook! Sometimes I visit a store that sells Apple products and I feel very nostalgic, sometimes my eyes even get a little wet!

The easy answer is check out eBay for deals on the MacBook model you had 5 yard ago. But also consider…in 2015…a 5 year-old 2010 MacBook may not perform the way it did when you still had it. So if you got another one…it may not have enough "horsepower" to do things in 2015 (the computing world has gotten more complex in the last 5 years).

Food for thought.:)

- Nick

p.s. Please be careful with the language. We like to keep things "clean" around here. Thanks.:)

OP
J
Reaction score
Sorry about my language, I was just typing with my heart.

No, I don't have a "mobile house". At the time I got stolen, there were professional thieves picking locks in my city. In my street, more than 10 houses got robbed. They waited until no one was at home and would get in very fast and stealthy, then get out with no trace of forced entry...

Anyway, probably you are right, maybe I should not focus on getting a computer with 5 years... But only because they are still very expensive...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What is the most you can afford? If I know I will see what I can find. I find some pretty good deals from time to time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I guess the local police never found or tracked anything the thieves stole, but a bit late now, and the same in case the MB had "House" theft insurance coverage that you could claim.

OP
J
Reaction score
No, they never found nothing and I do not have insurance.

What macbook do you think I should buy with 500 euros?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
No, they never found nothing and I do not have insurance.

What macbook do you think I should buy with 500 euros?

I'd suggest trying some google searches and especially doing some Mac searches on your local ebay Portugal site.

And Good Luck on you search. ;)

C

chas_m

500 Euros = $560.

This might get you a refurbished Mac mini, or a 2012 MacBook Pro (if you're lucky), or maybe even a base model new Mac mini.. If you can afford something refurbished, that is the best option since it includes a warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp mid 20142.8 GHz Intel Core i5 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
or do what a lot of people do, buy HP or buy now pay later.... i did this with my mac book pro £1650ish from curry/pc world i don't know if its that easy in portugal but in England it is, i had 12 months to pay it off interest free.

OP
J
Reaction score
500 Euros = $560.

This might get you a refurbished Mac mini, or a 2012 MacBook Pro (if you're lucky), or maybe even a base model new Mac mini.. If you can afford something refurbished, that is the best option since it includes a warranty.

I prefer a macbook so I could have the full mac experience. With mac mini I would have to buy an apple keyboard and magic mouse which would increase the price :(

Anyway, I have been searching, do you think this is a good deal?

Macbook Pro 13" from 2012, in good condition.
2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB RAM
Intel HD Graphics 4000
OS X 10.9.5

It costs 600 euros. What do you think?

OP
J
Reaction score
or do what a lot of people do, buy HP or buy now pay later.... i did this with my mac book pro £1650ish from curry/pc world i don't know if its that easy in portugal but in England it is, i had 12 months to pay it off interest free.

I can't do this because I don't have a stable job and I don't know if I could pay the installments... :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
...jlourenco...about your stolen house, here in Carolina, after we "build" our house we always take the axles, wheels, and hitch off just before we secure the hurricane straps. Makes 'em much harder to steal.

C

chas_m

I prefer a macbook so I could have the full mac experience. With mac mini I would have to buy an apple keyboard and magic mouse which would increase the price :(

Anyway, I have been searching, do you think this is a good deal?

Macbook Pro 13" from 2012, in good condition.
2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB RAM
Intel HD Graphics 4000
OS X 10.9.5

It costs 600 euros. What do you think?

It's an excellent machine, but I would budget for increasing the RAM to 8GB or more (not expensive, and easy to do yourself). I'm writing to you on that exact model, it's very upgradeable, has a decent video chipset, and runs very well (Apple is still selling that model to this very day as the non-Retina option -- for $1099).

600 Euros ($654 US) is less than I paid for mine, so I would say its a great deal. It will be slow to go obsolete because it already has all the modern technologies (Thunderbolt, USB3, Bluetooth 4.0), can run the latest and forthcoming OS X versions, and is upgradeable down the road. If it is in good shape, I would jump on that given your needs.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agree 100% with Chas's advice. Great little computer. Just needs more RAM like was said. Price seems fair. I got one for a friend with the same specs and paid more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
With mac mini I would have to buy an apple keyboard and magic mouse which would increase the price :(

Do you mean you would be compelled to? You don't have to. Any USB device will work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.