Adobe Flash Player plug-in

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
I keep getting the following notice: "Do you want to trust the website “..............” to use the “Adobe Flash Player” plug-in?"
I'm not sure why I get this message when I am visiting various sites on Yahoo. My Yahoo is my homepage. It gives me 3 options: 1. Trust. 2. Not Now. 3. Never trust. Is this a normal mode of operation for Adobe Flash Player? Do i really need Adobe Flash Player? Has adobe Flash Player caused problems for Macs? Lastly, what Flash player should I be using and which should I avoid?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Adobe flash player has been the source of vulnerability at times due to various security risks. Most of those risks are going to affect Windows computers. If you are on a site that you feel is safe it, is okay to allow the plug in to function. Flash player is used to play some content on websites. It is up to you if you want to view it or use the player.

Some browsers have flash player built in and some do not. If you want to install Adobe Flash player you can download it here.

Always download it from the adobe site and not something offering it with a click to download offer. You will get more than you want downloaded.

As to the messages you are getting about trust, this is coming from settings in your browser. Since you don't say which one you are using I can not offer help with how to set those up. But since it is asking for permission, those settings should be fine.

Lisa

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@BillGates Jr. Are you using the Dragon Dictate software? It has an internet extension for Safari that may do the same thing IIRC.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am using Safari as my browser. My.Yahoo.com is my homepage. Never heard of Dragon Dictate, so no, I am not using it.
I will trash my current adobe Flash Player then download Adobe flash player from the adobe site.

Reaction score
I banished Adobe Flash from my Macs years ago and don't think that my browsing experience has suffered from not having it. In many cases, I think my browsing is better because of no Flash.

When I absolutely need to have some Flash functionality, I just use the Chrome browser that has an embedded version of Flash. But all my Safari (or Firefox) browsing is Flash free!

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Ron4mac makes a good point in reminding us that Chrome has Flash embedded and, what's more, keeps it up to date for you. No need to check.

When using Safari: I suggest you go to System Preferences > Flash (bottom line) and click on "Notify me to install updates" rather than automatic download. This is also the best way to update as it always takes you to the official Adobe website. I'm sure you know this, but what you download is the Flash Installer. Once downloaded, you have to open that to install the player.

Ian

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks all. Got rid of Flash player. I will be adding Firefox, Chrome and possibly Opera( per my neighbor) to my list of browsers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.