Want to learn Mac repair

Reaction score
Im looking to add mac repair to my resume any pointers on where to start?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Buy a Mac and learn how the OS works.

OP
F
Reaction score
I have several mac systems from Imac to MacBook pro.. 2 of these MBA MBP are now out of warranty... im just tired of buying a new mac every other year

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Why are you having to buy a new Mac every other year?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac Mini (Base Model, High Sierra); iPad 2018 (Latest iOS); iPhone 7 (Latest iOS)
I have several mac systems from Imac to MacBook pro.. 2 of these MBA MBP are now out of warranty... im just tired of buying a new mac every other year

Seriously, that seems really odd. Most folks buy one and sit on it for 3-4 years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Most folks buy one and sit on it for 3-4 years.
Yep. My MacBook is 6 years old.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
...and I'm working just fine with 5 years on mine.

M

MacInWin

My "youngest" is 4 years old, then there is one at 6, and 7 and 9. All going strong.

C

chas_m

We're not trying to be obtuse about your desire to learn Mac repair -- but your post and particularly your follow-up makes us think that this is waaaay less about actual repair and much more about you needing to learn to use your machines. No Mac needs replacing after "a year or two" with normal use, and if you got a defective one you'd know right away, and Apple would replace it.

So what's really going on there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
It really depends on what you mean by "add to your resume", do you simply mean a basic understanding of hardware and software upgrade, installation, and repair? If so, this is fairly easy to acquire by picking up some older Macs (older Intels are great, and can be had for $100-$150 depending on the model) and tinkering with them. Basic upgrades like ram and Hard drives are great starting points, as well as reinstalling and really learning the fundamentals of OS X.

If you want to "deep dive" and really put something on your resume, you need to become an Apple Certified Technician. This is a fairly long, complex, and relatively expensive process. I recently got my certification, but it took about 8 months of formal training, and consists of 2 main exams. Apple's requirements are also pretty strict, requiring you to test and re-certify on new hardware as it is released.

Reaction score
If you want to "deep dive" and really put something on your resume, you need to become an Apple Certified Technician. This is a fairly long, complex, and relatively expensive process. I recently got my certification, but it took about 8 months of formal training, and consists of 2 main exams. Apple's requirements are also pretty strict, requiring you to test and re-certify on new hardware as it is released.

So, would you say that this would not be worthwhile unless you are employed in the computer industry and have access to new equipment on a continuing basis?

What I mean by that is: for the hobbiest/enthusiast - cost vs. benefit value - is it still worth pursuing.

I'm currently working on CompTIA A+ and Security+ certifications (in that order), and I have an opportunity to get into IT with my employer (specifically, information security/cyber defense type work) and they will train me on that (1 year of Windows and Linux training specific to security and pen testing). Would it be worth pursuing Apple certification even though we don't use Apple products? BTW, I have, literally, NO Apple experience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
So, would you say that this would not be worthwhile unless you are employed in the computer industry and have access to new equipment on a continuing basis?

What I mean by that is: for the hobbiest/enthusiast - cost vs. benefit value - is it still worth pursuing.

I'm currently working on CompTIA A+ and Security+ certifications (in that order), and I have an opportunity to get into IT with my employer (specifically, information security/cyber defense type work) and they will train me on that (1 year of Windows and Linux training specific to security and pen testing). Would it be worth pursuing Apple certification even though we don't use Apple products? BTW, I have, literally, NO Apple experience.

Personally, I would say no. If you are not working with Apple products and won't be for the foreseeable future, it would likely serve you better to focus on more PC and Security orientated certifications. Apple's is also one of the most expensive I've ever seen, $150 each for 9L0-012 and 9L0-066, not to mention a $15 exam for every new product they release.

I'm currently working on my A+ as well, currently 1/2 tests in. Be warned however that A+ has not updated in about 3-4 years and the questions that are on there now may trip you up. I was shocked to still see Windows XP specific questions on there (such as specific command-line procedures that were done-away with when Vista came around). They're going to be updating it (hopefully) soon, so what to study depends on your time frame.

But those exams are incredibly valuable if your employer is willing to pick up the cost, and I would say that the best course of action is take everything that you can get. As well as A+, I'm also working on my Windows Client Pro certification and have 3 pending certification vouchers for Testout.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.