Going From Slacker to Apple Music

AJF

Reaction score
The feature I like most about Slacker (and Pandora) is being able to have it automatically make custom stations based on an artist or song and also being able to listen to them off line. I can't see how this can be done on Apple Music other then putting together your own playlist.

Is there a way to do this similar to Slacker and Pandora?

C

chas_m

Yes, there is. From any song in your library, a simple right-click (in iTunes) or a tap on the "..." next to a song will bring up the option to "Start Station" based on that song. Instantly, you will have created a "station" that plays music similar to the song you picked, and appears alongside the other "radio" stations in the "radio" tab of Music/iTunes.

Once a song is playing from the station, expand the mini-player to see a "star" icon -- this gives you the option of saying "Play more like this" or "Play less like this," which is less customizable than it was under the previous version. At some point -- but not presently -- we should gain the ability to delete these custom stations. At present, there is no way to do that I can find. Early days.

I also see no way to play these offline, but that is a condition in which I rarely find myself, so perhaps if you are offline and press play it will search your library for songs that fit -- or perhaps not. In the previous version, you could choose an artist and then add additional similar artists yourself and such -- that may return, but its not present now. Again, early days.

OP
A

AJF

Reaction score
Thanks chas. I hope they add the ability to play off line because that's something I use alot with Slacker.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.