youtube downloader

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
would like to know if anyone knows about Best youtube download for Mac 1.5.17
i am interested in downloading a movie from youtube....used to do this all the time on firefox with windows7

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Usually this is achieved with a Browser Extension, Plugin or Add On.
It depends on which browser you use. For Chrome for example, go to preferences>Extensions and do a search for You Tube downloader in the search bar of the page that appears.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Alternatively you could just download and instal Fire Fox for Mac OS which you may be more familiar with.
It's trial and error as far as which add on works best for you but they are small to download and easy to disable and/or remove. While you are at it you might like to download the Ad Blocker extension. Gets rid of pop up windows ads and protects you from some malicious adware.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks ron
i did find the ad blocker but nothing for youtube downloading.
installed firefox and have been looking thru the various options to plug ins but reviews of some are not positive. need to do more looking into this. when info says 'could contain malicious software' or 'contains ad ware', I am bit hesitant. so still am looking for a solution.
the video is of my nieces wedding and i would like to have a copy of that for myself.

also, does mac have software to convert mp4 to wav....for video editing?

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
having adblocker install problems
clicked on safari extension
found adblocker
clicked and prompted today $$$ which i did on my CC

adblocker was downloaded from macupdate.com site
so i figured all would be ok

when i clicked on adblocker.dmg to install got this message:
can't install...unidentified developer!!
(yet, i was able to download handbrake from this same site)
security preferences only allows install of apps from MAC APP Store and identified developers.

i went to the MAC APP store and could not even find Adblocker.

it sounds like a very good app to have but i sure am having trouble getting it.

can anyone help? maybe i need to edit my preferences, tho i want to make sure i fully understand what i am doing before i do it.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ad Blocker is not an Application. It is a browser extension. It must be downloaded from within the browser itself. Ditch the one you got from MacUpdate. Open Firefox. Go to the little set of lines top right on the tool bar. A little window opens with a number of options. Go to Add Ons. A window opens with customisation options, Themes, Plugins etc. Type Ad Block into the search bar. You will get some options. Select Ad Block Plus and click install.
It is the same for other addons do not try to download them from third parties.
The same method will allow you to add You Tube Downloader (signed) this is the one I use. It has the official You Tube icon. You will also be asked if you want to download a sound extension. You can say yes to that.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks ron
was able to get ad blocker installed just fine.
however youtube downloader not as easy to determine which is one you use.
several of the options have youtube icons and i do not know which is the official youtube icon.
there is one there that say youtube video and audio...is that the one?

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
also when i downloaded firefox an icon appears on desktop that looks like mini drive.
when i click on it, it verifies firefox..then yellow ball appears in dock.
and i can access firefox and away i go.

when i close all down for the nite..including firefox...the ball disappears and i need to do the verify again.
is this the way it is supposed to work? or is there something i need to set so firefox icon will stay in dock?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
also when i downloaded firefox an icon appears on desktop that looks like mini drive.
when i click on it, it verifies firefox..then yellow ball appears in dock.
and i can access firefox and away i go.

when i close all down for the nite..including firefox...the ball disappears and i need to do the verify again.
is this the way it is supposed to work? or is there something i need to set so firefox icon will stay in dock?

You aren't moving Firefox from the DMG file (a virtual disk image that acts like a DVD) to your Applications folder like you should be. You are mounting the virtual drive and running it from there. Naturally, when you shut down, the virtual drive gets "dismounted". You need to read up on how to properly install apps on OS X. Here's a complete guide:
How to Install Applications On a Mac: Everything You Need to Know

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
omg...thank you so much for info on moving dmg file to applications.
the link you sent is most useful.
what a wonderful site this is and i thank you all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you want to download a YouTube video via Safari, this can be done by using the extension "ClickToPlugin". It has an option to add a "Download video" action on the right-click menu. I just tried it on several videos and it works flawlessly.

ClickToPlugin & ClickToFlash Safari extensions

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you want to download a YouTube video via Safari, this can be done by using the extension "ClickToPlugin". It has an option to add a "Download video" action on the right-click menu. I just tried it on several videos and it works flawlessly.

ClickToPlugin & ClickToFlash Safari extensions

thanks i will try that out.

got firefox in applications and dragged to dock...all is well.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok tried the youtube video download via safari. i finally realized i had to download a plug in.

i could not find click to plugin...all i have in my lists is click to flash.
this little to tech for this novice....will work on in and see if i can figure it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok tried the youtube video download via safari. i finally realized i had to download a plug in.

i could not find click to plugin...all i have in my lists is click to flash.
this little to tech for this novice....will work on in and see if i can figure it out.

I provided a link to it already. It's the same developer as ClickToFlash. I would uninstall ClickToFlash before installing ClickToPlugin. CTP has the same functionality as CTF, and much more, of course.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just goes to show there are many ways to achieve the same results, below is the page I get in Fire Fox including the version of Ad Block and You Tube Downloader but they may be different if you use Safari.

Screen Shot 2015-07-06 at 10.40.03.png

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I provided a link to it already. It's the same developer as ClickToFlash. I would uninstall ClickToFlash before installing ClickToPlugin. CTP has the same functionality as CTF, and much more, of course.

yes, i finally realized that and have downloaded CTF but see that it comes from Marc ?? git thumb inc...isn't that third party?
just before installing...read that extensions can access private info at web sites.

you must realize i am a newbie with apple and am being very cautious about what i download.
i read everything before i take action.

thanks for your help.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok ron
thank you.....i finally was able to download the YouTube Video and Audio Downloader 0.4.4.1.1 successfully.
the icon for youtube is showing top right with other icons....

when I click on youtube and open a file...i do not see the download button.
is there something else I need to do?

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
can anyone help me figure out why i do not see the download button with above youtube video/audio downloader?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
can anyone help me figure out why i do not see the download button with above youtube video/audio downloader?

I don't see offhand how to do it, and quite frankly this just smells of a scammy add-on. It wanted to install something for media conversion, something that shouldn't even be necessary. I can only recommend ditching it.

1-Click YouTube Video Downloader works. It puts a "download" button under the video.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks lifeisabeach, i will try that one out, since Rod has not responded to my query.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.