Possible virus???

Reaction score
I think a virus may have infected my macbook pro.

A pop-up ad kept flashing a prompt (similar to the mac-keeper junk) that I had to close out of multiple times, and it ended up freezing everythjng so I restarted the computer.

Now, even though it says i have full internet access & wifi strength according to the network preferences and troubleshooter, I cant access the internet at all (tried chrome, safari, dropbox, no luck anywhere).

Any idea what could be wrong or how I can fix it? I dont have anything backed up with time machine, so i dont think i can restore to a previous date.

Its definitely not the network, as i am posting this from a tablet connected to it.

Please help!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Head off and download AdwareMedic and run it.

After it fixes your problem, go back to the same developers site and click the make a donation tab for all the time and trouble it saved you. ;)
AdwareMedic

PS: You don't need to worry or even bother about not having any sort of backup assuming you don't have ANYTHING worth saving!!
Something I really doubt and have only encountered with a little old lady many years ago. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Well we can try some things that won't hurt and may get you fixed up! I will be very generic as you have not provided much information. It would be helpful to know what version of OS X. Also is the wired connection also down or is it just the wireless?

Try this:

First - Open up your browser close any pages that open - if any - and clear your browser history and data.

Second - take a look at your browser extensions and disable/delete any and all you do not recognize or want.

Three - Under System Preference -> Network -> select your wireless connection (if not already selected) -> make sure your network name is correct.

Click on advanced (you will probably have to click on the lock in the right corner and put in your admin information.)

Click on the TCP/IP tab. - > look at Configure IPv4 and make sure it says "Using DHCP" (If you are manually setting your IP addresses this will be set to manual but I am assuming you are not - post back if that is not true.) Configure IPv6 should be set to "Automatically". Click Renew DHCP lease to refresh your settings.

Under the DNS tab you should see in the DNS server box the IP address of your modem that connects you to the internet. It should be the same address you see on the TCP/IP tab under router - if you have the typical home setup.

If you can down load AdwareMedic on another computer and install it on the one having problems. Run it and it should clear out any adware issues - which is what you have, not a virus.

Post back any results.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.