How to set my Finder file screen to original set-up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nube-MacPro Retina 13" i5-2.6GHz OS 10.10.3,
I've just lost my Finder file setup as it was when I purchased it. Because it is no longer familiar I cannot find my files. MacBookPro Retina 13" i5 Yosemite 10.10.3. Have tried changing view, action & arrange with no luck. Setting it back to original would fix things because I was happy with it. How do I do it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Without knowing how your Finder was originally setup to view files, it's rather difficult to advise you on how to get it back that way. More information from you would be helpful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thank you both for your replies. I do not know how it was setup when I first got it as I was a newbe then (and only slightly better now). I assumed that there would be a "standard" that Mac's would be prepared before shipping that would be well known and easily passed on...?
I guess I never bothered to remember what was where. I know that on the left frame (of Finder) I had all the things I needed in a list of about 12 - 15 headings. With my hard drives all together at the bottom: Mac internal plus a 3TB & 1 TB external. My brain has stopped remembering "all" the details. I do remember however that I did not change anything when I first got the Mac as it was perfect the way it was. The only thing I did recently is to set up DropBox to send some vids. I didn't knowingly "do" anything It was "different" yesterday when I turned it on...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Use Command-F to find a file. If you can think of the exact name of just one file, that should lead you to the folder that others are in as well.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bingo!!! I used Ctrl F and I saw "File" heading, clicked File and saw "New Smart Folder" clicked on it and there was my lost folder window. Man your good... Without knowing it you showed me where to go. Can't believe I spent hours looking for something I didn't know I had!!!!!
Thanks toMACsh... Happy days to you!!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Use Command-F to find a file. If you can think of the exact name of just one file, that should lead you to the folder that others are in as well.

Good catch. I seriously misunderstood what the OP was missing. I was about to suggest you were off on the wrong track but my Mac hung for a bit while I was testing my side. By the time I got back to the thread you'd been proven right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I dare say all repliers were a bit confused and off base a bit from understanding the OPs description, toMACsh included, ;) ;) , but he should take a bow anyway and take credit for his suggestion for finding files. And it can sure be confusing to a new user with all the alternatives they are provided with. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I'll add one app you will find handy and useful when Apple's Spotlight doesn't work properly and that's Find Any File.

I use it so often it sits in my Dock.
Find Any File download from:
Thomas Tempelmann - Find Any File

Another for other types of searches is Devon Technology's free "EasyFind".

Both marvellous when one needs either of them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A thank-you goes out to PM-r... I now have printed the link suggested... https://support.apple.com/kb/PH19059?locale=en_CA as it is very useful... Thanks

For reference if you like, for such hints and sites to want to keep, just make a new folder for Mac Stuff (or whatevernameyouwant) so you can just save the bookmark to, or a folder you can save the browser page to if you like, and maybe change the webpage name to something more meaningful.

Then you'll end up with you own "book of Mac hints" and no printing needed. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Don't forget Preferences in the Finder menu.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.